Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Yep. I Did That.


It was two years ago that I returned to the States from a two-week teaching expedition in Morocco. As with any adventure overseas, it was exhausting -the sights, sounds, and new culture in which you find yourself suddenly immersed. I worked with a group of first-graders who spoke French, Arabic, and minimal English. As a summer school course, we brought our first-hand English skills to them. If you didn't get the chance to follow along with my journey, my Africa weblog/picture gallery is here. But here are just a few memories from this trip that come to mind:

I worshipped Jesus Christ in an Islamic mosque.
I perspired like I've never perspired before.
I watched my students eat gummy worms for the first time.
I watched my flat-iron blow up...again.
I was gawked at for my blonde hair.
I ate chicken with cinnamon on it.
I got trapped in an elevator with Ashley and a hysterical Spanish woman.
I got free socks on my trans-atlantic flight.
I learned from 6 year olds.

Experiences like this are not soon forgotten.
Yours?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mosques are Islamic, not Pagan. There is a difference.

Jamie Stavenger said...

My apologies.

Perksofbeingme said...

You have an award waiting for you!

http://perksofbeingme.blogspot.com/2008/07/blog-award.html

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, reruns. :)