Saturday, July 12, 2008

Name it and Claim it.

I had a conversation the other day about the prosperity gospel, and this post again reminded me of the topic, so I thought I'd use the weekend to lay out my opinion (after all, who checks blogs on the weekend?). The Prosperity Gospel (also referred to as "name it and claim it") is the idea that God will reward us for our extravagant giving. It's a literal interpretation of John 10:10, "I have come that they might have life, and might have life more abundantly," in favor of our material well-being as a gift from the Lord.

As much as I want to unload on how ridiculous I think this is, I won't. It's just too obvious to me, and I think you can see that as well. The gospel never promises us a cushy, comfy life...even if we are obedient givers. There is no "law of reciprocity" with the God who gives and takes away. Just as we can't anticipate a Christmas gift from a friend, we can't expect God to lavish us with wealth for our obedience. That sounds more like the "power of positive thinking" doctrine of the Church of Scientology, Religious Science, or "The Secret".

What IF God calls us to be poor? Does that mean we aren't "giving" enough? Does that mean we are not in God's favor? I don't believe that God wants every Christian to be living on the streets, but He does want us to be responsible and generous with our resources. We ALL live abundant lives...we live in America. But I'd argue that "abundant" living, according to the scriptures, has nothing to do with wealth. After all, doesn't God delight in our sacrifices? When it's not easy? Doesn't He promise time and again that He will be with us, even as we walk through the valley of the shadow of death?

John Piper is a badass. And by badass, I mean awesome. I've seen him speak and read several of his books, and he does NOT fool around with this kind of theology. His passion is evident in this clip:


I'm looking forward to my treasure in Heaven.

No comments: