Thursday, July 17, 2008

Calling All Tidy People...


Hello again. Let me preface this posting by saying that I love my husband very much. (I'm sure Chris is getting a little nervous reading this!) I was blessed to gain a man that is generally very tidy...at times, more tidy than me! But there is one point of contention between us- making the bed.

Chris believes making the bed is completely pointless. I know this because it's the same conversation we have every time I ask him to help (which he always does, graciously). His argument is rooted in the fact that no one will SEE the bed (with the exception of us) throughout the day. I've tried to make my case numerous times, but I'm obviously failing to come up with a convincing counterpoint. The following are reasons I've given for this task:

1. Aesthetics. The room feels finished when the bed is made.
2. The hotel-bed feeling you get when you pull the covers back. It's like you're getting into a brand new bed.
3. Straightening the sheets. During the night, especially when the weather is warm, the covers tend to shift and shuffle, as you know. When I get into bed, I don't want to have to find the corners of the sheets, or pull half the duvet from Chris' side. It's too much work.

And, perhaps the most convincing argument:
4. While I was making the bed the other day, a spider came crawling across the sheets. I know it's disgusting, but had I never made the bed, I never would have disrupted this spider's environment. He could have very well camped out there all day. I DID make the mistake of letting Chris in on this information. The remainder of the night was riddled with Chris' paranoia..."Is there a spider on me?" "I feel like there are spiders all over me." "Let's check the sheets one more time." I promised, next time, I would keep that information to myself. :)

I think I've done a pretty good job, but there has to be more logic behind making the bed in the morning. Please help a sista out.

Do YOU make the bed? If so, WHY!?

16 comments:

http://alberico.net said...

I also don't get the point of making the bed, you're just going to mess it up anyway. IF you're going to have company over and IF they're going to be in your bedroom, then it makes sense.

Jamie Stavenger said...

Thanks a lot, Angelo. :P

Phil said...

Gotta say I'm with Angelo. Making the bed takes up too much time. The bedroom should only to be used for two activities anyway, so after you make it and leave the room, then NOBODY sees it, and it's just going to get messed up again for either of those activities!

Phil said...

Wow, I left in an extraneous "to." Dur.

MLasch said...

Why not? When a bed has beautiful covers and pillows, why waste that? You spent a LOT of money making it look nice, why let that go to waste. If you don't care, throw a mattress on the floor and some cheap sheets on it. Add some standard sized pillows and do whatever you want!

Will said...

I live alone. I do not have visitors often. But yes. I make my bed every morning.

Also, I iron my sheets and pillowcases regularly. I just like "crisp white sheets." I know. 1-800-OCD.

btw, i'm kinda itchy after reading about the spiders. "is there a spider on me?" haha

Rachel said...

Of course you should make the bed - I agree most with the fact that it completes the room and looks neat. What's the point of having a clean bedroom if the bed isn't made? Why vacuumm or dust or put clothes away? If no one is going to see it...

Anonymous said...

I do not condone this message.

Jamie Stavenger said...

I agree with you, Rachel. The "nobody sees it" approach doesn't fly with me...ESPECIALLY since Chris thinks cleaning just for company is ridiculous. So....why clean at ALL, right!?

Kevin said...

as a current bed "not" maker, i don't see the point in making the bed. Granted I do not share the other half of my bed with anyone... other than an occassional spider or two.

but once again I never have anybody over to the apartment. Now if i had a big screen TV and Guitar Hero... i might change my habits. Then i'd just close the door to my bedroom. Problem Solved

I think on average a person eats 2.5 Spiders a year. They just crawl up in there.

How's that for bed time conversation!

Anonymous said...

The following is a little "making the bed philosophy" that I came across in a wonderful little book called Creating a Charmed Life by Victoria Moran that I will share with you: I believe it is true! Chapter 51: Make the Bed

"Because there are so many circumstances over which we have no control, it is liberating to consciously take control of those we can do something about. That's why making the bed every morning can be such an important habit. It's something you can do shortly after you awaken, so, most of the time, you can perform this lovely little ritual before any calamities have taken place. It symbolically gives closure to the previous twenty-four hours, opening your way into an unsullied day. Since the bed is proably the largest piece of furniture in the room, making it presents a picture of order. If you're home during the day, just looking in that room can give you a feeling of calm and accomplishment. If you're away, remembering that your bed is made can help you feel efficient, organized, and capable."

Keep making the bed, and have a Charmed Life!
Sorry, Chris - but you're still my favorite son-in-law. :)

angelina said...

i definitely do NOT make the bed...my wonderful husband makes the bed nearly everyday though. I must admit, i rarely clean...i keep him fed and happy and he keeps our house clean! He hates to get into a bed that has sheets that are not tidy...he's with jamie on this one. i couldn't care less about the sheets!

Jeannie said...

Well, having been a nurse in an allergy office, I can tell you that NOT making your bed is actually healthier. Allergens such and dust mites etc. thrive on warm, dark, and moist (if you sweat) environments. Exposing your sheets to daily sunlight significantly reduces these allergens... Having said that, I make my bed every morning because it looks better and that makes me happy.

Anonymous said...

That was a good point, Donna. It should be said that I don't mind having a made bed if I'm not the one making it! So I guess having a nice, made-up bed at night wouldn't be so bad after all. You trained your daughter very well.

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
atually the first 11.5 yrs of my marriage I was a non bed maker:) Until recently one day I woke up and realized.. that's making the room look messy. I love walking into my room every time seeing the completed/finished look. Plus you are right..pulling the sheets down is like a hotel:) Josh and i agreed that the last one out of the bed every day makes it.... and that took 12 yrs of marriage to figure out..

Anonymous said...

I do not make the bed because I am crappy at it. Keith makes the bed and I make sure I tell him as early in the evening as possible if I have stripped the bed that day to wash the sheets so that he is fully aware that if the bed is not made soon he is going to be very sad when he is exhausted and stumbles into the bedroom half asleep.