Thursday, September 18, 2008

You Never Know What You're Gonna Get.


Yesterday, I walked into the fourth grade classroom I was scheduled to sub in (halfway through the day), and the first words out of the scowling teacher's mouth were "This class is RUDE and IMMATURE. Good luck this afternoon!" Wow. I think she earned the "Beware: Crabby Teacher" sign adorning the front of her desk. It's not a surprise that the class lived up to their reputation. It was one of the most stressful days I've had as a substitute to date.

So, God knew that I needed a day to breathe and regain my optimism about my current employment status. Today I worked at the Juvenile Detention/Resident School near our home, and- I'm not gonna lie- I was VERY apprehensive about what was going to transpire today. However, with the excellent staffing and support they have in place there, it was the BEST day I've had this school year! I even had the opportunity to do some impromptu college advising.

Substitute teaching is like a box of chocolates...

1 comment:

Kevin said...

haha. ya my aunt works one of those. She is one Mean son of a Gun when it comes to getting those kids into shape. I've visited one of the correctional facilities before. And i've seen the toilets and the very small living quarters they give them. Makes California Apartments look spacious!