Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stupid Kids.


Again, I blog about our apple tree. We have a love/hate relationship with it. We LOVE the yummy apple crisp and snacks it provides for us. However, we HATE the clean-up. And since it hangs over the sidewalk, this creates a whole other problem: serious temptation for children.

I was resting the other day, and heard lots of rustling outside. When I got up to investigate, I found two 5th/6th-ish grade boys running around our yard throwing apples. As I watched from my window, I saw how they had been entertaining themselves for some time...throwing apples up the street. Soon, though, a car drove by and they went into hiding next to our porch. I took the opportunity to surprise them with a little verbal discipline from the homeowner. As you can imagine, they ran...escaping through our backyard and giggling with adrenaline.

I thought this was the conclusion of the apple episode, but here's where it gets shifty. Chris and I were watching T.V. when we heard an apple hit our front window. Within MOMENTS, Chris was outside on the porch scoping the scene of the crime. We found the evidence, but no suspects. This, of course, fueled the "Jack Bauer" instinct in my husband. He threw on black pants and a black top and laid in our grass for nearly half an hour, waiting for a return visit from the culprit (I told him his getup wasn't very effective with his white socks still up to his knees). The suspect never returned, but every once in a while thoughout the evening, Chris would disappear- and I'd find him with the lights out in the guest room, stealthily peering out the window. Being the good wife that I am, I figured it warranted a "good job, honey. Way to protect the house!" and a swift exit from the room.

Sometimes, boys just have to have their capture-the-flag style fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to change a few of the parts of the story since I am the key player. I did not change my clothes, I was not out for 30 min. (more like 15), I was not on the grass but the side of the house, and I only looked out the guestroom window once. I really did enjoy being Jack Bauer though for a night!

Unknown said...

Hahahaha All I can do is laugh at Chris! Hahahaha

Kevin said...

Seriously no shame in waiting for 30 Minutes. I give "the husband" props for all of that.

And believe me, this is no Capture the flag Matter. This was an attack on the fortress. That undeniably escalates measures to war! A man must protect the damsel in distress(which you were, you just didn't realize it).

Way to protect the homefront "the husband" your wife should be proud.

In other news.... Gowing home one day from 2nd grade we had a tree much like you described. I must say... there is something about throwing fruit on concrete that makes a boy feel like a man sometimes. Well maybe not a man, but at least a 4th grader.

Sarah said...

Invest in a BB gun....

I'm just saying...

Steph said...

i was hoping you would blog about this!! it was just as funny the second time around.

and chris, my incredibly stealth-like friend, thanks for taking such good care of my jame by laying the smack down with these hoodlums!