Saturday, September 06, 2008

It's About Frickin' Time.


Some of you have been curious to the status of my employment, and I've been hesitant to go into the whole story because it's been a long, frustrating battle with the Dept. of Education here. I must be the first person to ever relocate to MN from California, because they had no idea what to do with me. (They didn't even consider my full CA credentials valid because it didn't say the word "elementary" on it.) Anyway, God prepared me well for this fight, and as a former Credential Analyst, I was able to have "words" with the department in a professional way. Sadly, I've had to do much of the work myself.

The plan *was* to substitute in January until I returned to CA for the wedding, then try to pick up a full-time position for the fall. Unfortunately, it took months to get my substitute license. I received it the day before I was to leave for CA. And, because of a series of errors, my full-time license was also delayed. I FINALLY received it in the mail on Thursday- the first day of school in Duluth. You gotta give 'em credit for being consistent with their inopportune timing. (eye roll)

Since Minnesota has NO reciprocity with California, I have to retake all my exams and enroll for two courses at UMD, completing all within the next year. So THAT'S what I'll be doing with my time!

The end is in sight. Sigh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! Just remember, "Minnesota is not so bad, just the Minnesota Dept. of Education!" Congratulations and I know you'll do fine with the classes and the exams!!

Team Parks: Jason and Kristin said...

You should have a chat with Govenor Jesse "the Body" Ventura about the whole thing. I am sure it was just a Big Misunderstanding....

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jamie! I feel your pain--although it was the other way around. I can't tell you the number of times we wondered if we were the only ones to do ANYTHING between MN and CA! Makes one wonder about the UNITED States of America--are we united or just states?

I have friends at Talbot that went through the same thing in their move to CA. Maybe all the Departments of Education should be UNITED so a poor teacher can actually TEACH instead of run through red tape.

That's why I'm in youth ministry ;)
shelley

Angela said...

That's a whole new kind of ridiculous. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I don't get it. A credential should be a credential. Your B.A. doesn't suddenly become invalid across state lines, so why should a credential. Ah, bureacracy.

I remember my sister-in-law having a similar problem when they moved from CA years ago ... so she worked for a pharmaceutical company.

Jamie Stavenger said...

Shelley...obviously your friends at Talbot didn't go through ME- out of state credentials are actually now pretty easy to transfer TO California! (We need the teachers desperately.) I thought coming FROM CA (supposedly the most difficult cred to obtain) it would be easier. Not.

Deborah. said...

ummmm I want to talk to these people and tell them you were the best Advisor ever and that this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard haha. I'm sorry :(