Friday, September 19, 2008

Trading Spaces


More like, Trading "Places". I was feeling like our nightstand and dresser made one half of our bedroom look crowded, while the other side had nothing on it. To remedy this problem, I decided to move the nightstand to the opposite side of the bed. it was a brilliant move, if you ask me. But, it meant that Chris' alarm clock would also have to move. Rather than trust me with such a task (I'd be offended if I didn't have such a shifty record with alarm clocks...), we (I) decided we should try switching "sides". Chris has ALWAYS slept on the left, and I've always slept on the right. It was a risky experiment because, as you can probably relate, it's difficult to retrain sleep patterns. So...you can probably see where this is going...as he was rolling over towards what he THOUGHT was the edge of the bed,

instead, he clocked me in the face.

And, though he has apologized profusely for his subconscious behavior, I see no reason to be sorry. It was my idea to try switching sides, so I should have been more proactive in assuring my nighttime safety. A face guard probably would have helped.

I'm pleased to report, now, that since that incident I have not been physically harmed in any way during my slumber.

Question of the Day:
Would you ever give up YOUR side of the bed?

8 comments:

http://alberico.net said...

We ended up switching moving our bed to the opposite wall of the room when lori was a few months pregnant to better layout the room. After doing that in order to continue to provide easier / direct bathroom access for her, we also switched sides, there was a night or two of adjustment but this way feels fine now.

Before that, for kicks, we traded sides for a few random nights, I believe it was to fool with the cat, but she figured it out.

Anonymous said...

After 20 years of marriage and me on the right and her on the left, neither of us can sleep the other way.

Have you ever considered a nightstand on BOTH sides. We do, both our parents do. Everyone I know does.

Emma said...

We just rearranged our bedroom (to make room for baby stuff), and the side I used to sleep on is now against a wall. Since I have a newborn that needs to eat a few times in the night, I switched sides so it would be easier for me to get in and out of bed. I takes a little while to get used to.

MLasch said...

My husband thought that switching sides of the bed meant he might also switch sexual orientations. But we had to switch because we had both changed the way we sleep over the years and were now facing each other (not good when someone is breathing and snoring at you).

I'm happy to report that sleeping on the opposite side has not had a negative effect on his orientation!

Jamie Stavenger said...

Well, Stock-town dude, a dual-nightstand situation is always ideal, this is true. However, my husband purchased this bedroom set a few years ago, and they don't carry that particular model anymore. I'm not a "mix-and-match" kind of person, so the one will have to do :)

Anonymous said...

If it doesn't matter which side I sleep on does that make me "am-bed-extrous?" ;)

Jamie Stavenger said...

Very clever, mommy :)

Sarah said...

Matt and I have done this a few times... against Matt's will. Both of us prefer the left side of the bed, but me, being the gracious wife that I am (snicker), took the right side.

Well, on occasion, when I'm REALLY tired, I'll sneak into bed a few minutes early, and ever so conveniently fall asleep on Matt's side. I do wake up a little disoriented, but well rested.

Matt is nice enough not to wake me up, However, he's never offered up his side either. One day, that left side will be mine.... :-)