Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Love It, Hate It, 2008 It.


Happy New Year's Eve, folks! On this, the last day of 2008, I'd like to share with you some highlights and...anti-highlights (does that make sense?) from this year. I'll veer from the obvious as much as possible, but some were too monumental (or controversial) to exclude from the list. Heeeeeeeeere we go!

HATE IT!
10. Tyra Banks.
I cannot believe anyone can be so self-absorbed and not recognize it. Or can she?
9. Flakiness.
"We should get together sometime!" "Let's get together soon!" "We really need to catch up!" "I'll give you a call!" I can only do so much. Call me when you're serious.
8. Dairy Products
Okay, with the exception of milk, I LOVE most dairy products. But after discovering my stomach pain is directly correlated to dairy consumption, I've discovered I'm lactose intolerant. This has MAJORLY cramped my style at the Starbucks counter, but I suppose it's better than a cramped tummy!
7. The Happening.
This is the stupidest movie of all time. Yep, I said all time. It's The Crappening, and I'm thinking about calling M. Night Shamamama for my money back.
6. Things brushing against my fingernails.
Difficult to explain, but interesting nonetheless. It's the feeling of a sheet (or something) squeaking across the nail. This has NEVER bothered me before this year- why does that happen?!
5. Substitute Teaching
I wouldn't say I HATE it, but it has much more negative pressing against it at this point in time. I miss having colleagues, routine, and a place to put my stuff down.
4. Dogs
I'll say little about this, other than "I'm TRYING!!!"
3. MTV
I'll qualify that by saying I'm disappointed with the depravedness of television in general. MTV just happens to SCREAM disgustingness all the time. How did we let this happen?? I shudder to think of how much farther they'll let it go...
2. Cold Weather
Suiting up, freezing nostrils, numb appendages, watery eyes, icy roads....overrated.
1. Being away from friends and family.
You know who you are.

LOVE IT!
10. Guacamole
2008 was the YEAR of guacamole for me. I was making it and eating it like it was my job. But I soon moved on to other dipping delicacies...Parmesian Artichoke, Garlic Aioli, Nacho Cheese, Peanut Butter Carmel...what can I say? I'm a dipper.
9. Fleece
That's right- I'm throwing fashion to the wind. It's like wearing a blanket, and I'm okay with that.
8. Marley & Me
Adorable movie! Chris and I BOTH enjoyed it- and that's pretty rare. SEE...I TOLD you I'm trying!!!
7. Lincoln Aviator
We're both having a bit of a love affair with the new car, but Chris gets REALLY excited when the Navigation "lady" talks to him. I'm beginning to feel threatened.
6. The People's Court
Ah, back in my unemployed days, Judge Milian kept me good company.
5. Hillsong United
We love blasting anthems like "The Stand,""Mighty to Save," and "Inside Out" on our premium sound system. Did I mention we got a new car? ;)
4. Facebook
SO much better than hours on the phone. Love it or hate it, it's still a convenient way to keep in touch. AND, I've converted almost all my friends! Only one more hanging on to myspace, but she's losing her grip...
3. Vineyard Church, Duluth
After months of church hunting, we finally landed on one that feels like home. Chris and I are really excited about getting involved and meeting new people as 2009 rolls in.
2. Family
I speak of new and old. It's true that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I miss hugs from mommy and daddy very much. I'm extra thankful for the Stavengers, who continue to make me feel like part of the family. There's lots of love everywhere, and I'm grateful!
1. Marriage
It's absolutely the biggest blessing in my life. I can't even imagine my life without Chris. Fortunately, I don't have to! 2009 will be another exciting adventure.

Happy New Year to you, and thank you for your faithful readership!

5 comments:

LynzMiller said...

So glad to read the pros far out-weigh the cons. Enjoy your new year friend. God Bless.

Sarah said...

I'm with you in 8, 6, and 5 of the lowlights.

8.
I've been having a bad reaction to Starbucks as of recent, and have also attributed it to a lactose issue. I was actually curled up withering in pain one day, thinking I may have appendicitis. However, I normally order drinks with non-fat milk, and am thinking I was given whole milk instead. The fat-free rarely bothers me.

6.
I have the same feeling, except mine is with cotton balls, and carpet. It makes me cringe, and get that feeling in my cheeks like when you eat something too sour!

5. Subbing is the bane of my existence. Seriously!

I do love everything on your highlights list, with exception to your church (only because I've never been). Well, that and the Lincoln (nice choice though!). I got a Volkswagen Jetta this summer, and I love it! Especially the heated seats!

Kevin said...

ahhh judge millian. I love it when she goes off on people being stupid!

photoqueen said...

lots of love to you BFF! I hope this 2009 is the best ever.

Rachel said...

I totally get the fingernail thing! I have to have nail polish on at all times - I can also feel things like wind on my nails and can't stand it!!