Monday, December 08, 2008

This May Be the Stupidest Thing I've Ever Done.


Hi folks! It's not Thanksgiving anymore?? I didn't get the memo! (nervous blush) It's FULL-THROTTLE winter here now- Chris is out with the snow-blower as I type. It's beautiful, but I'm a VERY nervous driver in the snow and ice. Sometimes I feel like I'm riding "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" (you Disneyland frequent-ers will know what I'm talking about), the way my car jerks back and forth on the snow. And, of course, it takes me 20 minutes to "suit-up", just to go out and get my mail. Freaking cold.

As a former Californian, you can imagine that I don't carry the fondest affections for the chilly weather. That's why I'm wondering if signing up for a winter BROOMBALL league was a bad idea. Maybe I just want to prove that I'm not so sissy. I don't know. In retrospect, it probably wasn't my brightest idea. Our annual Crosswalk Broomball games didn't go so well for me. Not only did I NEVER score, but I walked away with some pretty hardcore bruises. (In the words of Ross Gellar, "I bruise like a peach!")

For those of you not familiar with the sport of broomball, I included a picture for you above. I made the following observations about this picture:
1) It shows off the fancy helmet/faceguard that will save me from permanent brain damage.
2) Like our league, it is outside. The difference is: we'LL be playing at night. EVEN &$%#* COLDER!!
3) The boys in the picture are wearing very expensive broomball shoes. Chris and I aren't THAT committed- I'll be sliding around on UGGS that I hope to get for Christmas (hint, hint...), which also means that
4) This is probably the position I'll be in for most of the game (that is, when I'm not hiding inside by the fireplace).

You think my griping about playing volleyball in the rain was bad?
Just wait.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Please, please send pictures!

Jamie Stavenger said...

You got it!