Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Husband, the Olympics Ruiner.


(Yesterday Afternoon):

Jamie: "I really want Shawn Johnson to win a gold medal tonight."
Chris: "Why?"
Jamie: "Because she's done so well and been inched out of that spot more than once. And because she's so darn cute!"
Chris: (giggles)

(Later that evening, while watching Track and Field on T.V...)

Chris: "That Shay....Shaa....girl wins the gold."
Jamie: "Shawn Johnson?"
Chris: "Yeah."
Jamie: "Did they compete while I was on the phone?"
Chris: "No- it's coming up."
Jamie: "How do you know she wins?"
Chris: "I read it online."
Jamie: "CHHHHHHRRRRRRIIIIISSSSS!!!!!!!!!"
Chris: "WHAT!?" (genuinely stunned)
Jamie: "Thanks a lot! You just ruined it for me!"
Chris: "Oh....oops."

Doggone spoilers!

5 comments:

John Garcia said...

Hah! I love it! I did that with my brother... sort of... I check yahoo sports every day (or almost) for baseball and stuff, and I noticed Latvia had defeated the US in indoor vball... So later on in the day it came on, and I bet him Latvia would upset the US! Hah! It was great... I didn't take his money though...

Jamie Stavenger said...

...Because that would surely secure you a spot in hell, John.

Anonymous said...

Well, I do that too. But only because those medal rounds always seem to come on after midnight, California time. I'll only stay up late if I know we are going to get a medal in that particular event. But, I would never spoil it for anyone.

These Olypmics are really messing with sleep patterns, so much that NBC even did a segment on it during a break in the action.

Anonymous said...

That was especially funny because Dad & I had the exact same conversation as the gymnastics finals were coming up. Substitute Dad's name for yours, and my name for Chris's. Dad said he really wanted Shawn Johnson to win, & for the same reasons - she was edged out on other events, and she is "such a cutie." Even with the occasional spoiler, it is still exciting to watch the events play out - so go easy on poor Chris. ;)

LynzMiller said...

I did almost the same thing with Kirk with the 200m dash. I just didn't tell him about everyone that got DQ. Stupid time delays!