Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Wind Vs. The Winged


If you are a central valley resident, then the above picture looks very familiar. It's what you drive past on the way to San Francisco or the surrounding Bay Area. Known as "the Altamont," the hills here are riddled with windmills that provide power to thousands of homes statewide.

Today, the Stockton Record featured an article that questions the ethics of this energy-gathering strategy because- and I kid you not- "turbines kill more than 1,000 birds a year".

I have examined the pros and cons here, and my analysis of using WINDMILL generated power is as follows: I'm all for it. If those birds aren't flying themselves into blades as large as airline propellers, they'd be flying into your windshields.

Bird lover or energy lover?
What say you?

5 comments:

Kevin said...

This one has darwin award written all over it. If there dumb enough to fly into a turbine, then I'd say bring on the energy!

Anonymous said...

I say free dinner... sure beats takin the carne asada off my my neighbors grill when he goes inside.

isellseals said...

gooooooooooooo energy!

p.s. i had a bird fly into my windshield one. totally cracked it with it's stupid beak. haven't liked the things since then...

Anonymous said...

Last time I checked, there was no shortage of birds. At least 5 have met their demise trying to fly into our home's big picture window. Fly at your own risk, birds. Go windmill power.

Carlos said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog.
Much love.
Los