Friday, March 02, 2007

Spelling Lesson. Pay Attention.

Alright, I've let this detail go for most of my years roaming this earth. I think, however, it's time we all learned how to spell my name correctly. My first name is Jamie. Not Jayme, Jaimie, or Jaime (as in hi-may). It's very simple actually, follows phonics rules perfectly and can be found often at novelty shops sporting name-bearing pencils, pendants, and very tiny license plates.

My last name induces more common confusion. PETERSEN is a Danish surname, unlike the Swedish PETERSON. I'm proud of my Danish heritage (is this why I'm so WHITE?). And I'm proud to share names with such greats as William Petersen, of CSI fame, and Paul Petersen, formerly of the Donna Reed Show. I understand that the general public, however, has been bombarded with PETERSONs in recent history...like those who author easily-readable translations of the Bible, or those who kill their pregnant wives. And, in response to one of my second graders' inquiries, no...I am NOT "Scott Peterson's mom." (WHAT?! That is not okay on soooo many levels.) I'm going to stick with the -EN for now. That means, for you, it's really very simple. ALL "E"s, NO "O"s.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
Jamie Petersen

8 comments:

bobby said...

Wow, a little sensitive are we? OK, we'll spell it right. Just be glad you don't have my last name. ;)

Kevin said...

or mine where you have to sing the ei ei O song to get people to understand that there is an I between two E's

Anonymous said...

And don't forget actor William Petersen from CSI, another "great Dane!"

Anonymous said...

Oops, you said that.....

Anonymous said...

you seriously crack me up...I think I'm gonna pee my pants laughin! Its def a peeve of mine too...connEr and aidAn are always spelled wrong. why o why? its in the details...do we as a society slow down enough to enjoy the details in our relationships? We're hurriedaholics addicted to speed.

angelina said...

swedes are pretty white as well....and the REAL swedish way is petersson. double s is a must in svensk. just gotta keep it real for all my swedes

Lori said...

My maiden name is Peeters. Yes, that is spelled correctly, and no, people never spell it right. Why would they when Bernadette Peters is so wildly popular? The Dutch love to double their vowels.

calvierude said...

I love Donna Reed TV Show. In this Donna Reed gave her best performance. In all Donna Reed Episodes she looking amazing. So watch this great tv show from here and enjoy the great performance of Donna Reed...