Monday, July 23, 2007

How Did I Miss These Movies?


What do The Breakfast Club and Braveheart have in common?
I haven't seen either of them.
There are certain movies that have become pop culture epics, of which we ASSUME everyone has seen. When you find someone who has NOT been exposed to such iconic films, it causes one's jaw to drop. In conversation this weekend, I was subject to such reactions as I fessed up to having skipped the following movies...

BRAVEHEART
GLADIATOR (This makes every GUY in the universe very unhappy)
THE BREAKFAST CLUB
SIXTEEN CANDLES
THE GODFATHER
FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF
CAN'T BUY ME LOVE
LORD OF THE RINGS...all of them.
and, because of the current hype, I'll add the HARRY POTTER movies to the list, though they haven't proven themselves to be classics quite yet.

To all of you whose blood is now boiling....please forgive me. Perhaps it's time for a movie marathon weekend? All the old faves? Are there any movies YOU haven't seen, but the rest of the world has? Please share!

Shout outs go to Stephen and Steph (who NEED to watch ANCHORMAN soon) and Phil and Roxeanne (whose next movie rental needs to be THE CUTTING EDGE). I had a great time with you this weekend!! Temecula rules.

17 comments:

Heidi said...

I havent seen Lord of the Rings either.....any of them. You would think that I had just said I don't brush my teeth with the looks I get when people find that out.

Rachel said...

The Breakfast Club thing is kind of surprising...that's a great movie!

I've never seen Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings (I flat out refuse!) or any of the Harry Potter craziness.

Rick Bambrick said...

How about "A Christmas Story". I can't see myself sitting through that movie. Which is weird - cuz, I LOVE movies! I also haven't seen any of the Harry Potter stuff - I can't bring myself to see those - too commercial for me. I used to be able to say I haven't seen Braveheart - now that I have - I am really sorry I saw it. yuck! (sorry Chris & Bobby) It is just plain bad.

Jamie Stavenger said...

That's funny, Rick, because my ex-bf couldn't BELIEVE I had never HEARD of "A Christmas Story", let alone SEEN it. He made me watch it. I still wonder what all the fuss is about. I should add Harry Potter to my list...haven't seen them OR read the books.

Patricia Bennett said...

My jaw dropped as soon as you said you had never seen The Breafast Club - then I scrolled down further and saw what you wrote about Jaw-Dropping - I picked my mouth up off the floor and shoved my foot in it lol. I definnitely think Can't Buy Me Love needs to be taken off that list - but I agree everyone needs to watch The Cutting Edge!

Anonymous said...

That makes me sick.

Will said...

I haven't see any of the Lord of the Rings either.

But The Breakfast Club? wow. everyone has seen that.

Roxeanne said...

Ummm...If I remember correctly, I said that I DID see The Cutting Edge!

Jamie Stavenger said...

Whoops! Sorry, Roxeanne. Was it Phil that hasn't seen it? Or Stephen and Steph?

Anonymous said...

Ummm...NO! It was NOT Steph and Stephen who haven't seen The Cutting Edge! It was one of my TOP 5....hello!!??!

Roxeanne said...

It was Phil. And he has NO interest in ever seeing it. Unless something has the characters of LOST in it, he's not up for watching.

Love ya babe =)

Jamie Stavenger said...

Our next fun night shall be....a double feature: Anchorman and The Cutting Edge! (We'll just tie Phil down for the latter.)

Becky Lou said...

OK, there was surprise when you said Breakfast Club, but the real jaw dropper was 16 Candles. I can't believe you haven't seen that! You can barrow my DVD anytime. Lord of the rings, whatever, see it or don't. Harry Potter is pretty good, but I say read the books first.

Kevin said...

i refuse to see titanic!!!!

Roxeanne said...

the Harry Potter movies are fun, even if you're not "into" it.

zacharyfruhling said...

Time to get caught up on the movie scene!

Anonymous said...

It's ok. I haven't seen most of those.

Or:
Goonies

Back To The Future

Any Star Wars movie

The list is HUGE!!

Oh well :-)

Miss you girl!!

~Sarah