Saturday, April 14, 2007

This Day in History...

ON APRIL 14th:

1828 - Noah Webster copyrights the first edition of his dictionary.

1846 - The Donner Party of pioneers departs Springfield, Illinois, for California, on what will become a year-long journey of hardship, cannibalism, and survival.

1860 - The first Pony Express rider reaches Sacramento, California.

1865 - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln is shot in Ford's Theatre by John Wilkes Booth.

1912 - The British ocean liner RMS Titanic strikes an iceberg in the North Atlantic on its maiden voyage, plunging beneath the waves and taking with it over 1,500 lives at about 2:20 a.m. the following morning.

1935 - "Black Sunday", the worst dust storm of the Dust Bowl.

1970 - One of Apollo 13's oxygen tanks explodes, causing a cancelled moon mission. The explosion occurs on April 13th in several time zones.

2007 - Jamie takes a CPR class, satisfying the final requirement for her California Professional CLEAR Multiple Subject teaching credential.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

SWEET!!!! I've finally been added to the Right side. I was really beginning to wonder if my plan to take over the world was really going to happen.

And double bonus for the CPR training.

And lastly since you brought up hisroty. Did a major inventor died and never got press the same week that Anna Nicole Smith did? Ya, the guy who invented the TV remote. Seriously where would we be without the Remote. that means No TIVO guys. And he got no press. Sad i tell you. Sad.

Anonymous said...

Memorable moments from history and your-story! So what does 30:2 mean to you now?

Becky said...

I just wanted to let you know how vindicated I feel that someone else was aware of the anniversary of the Titanic's sinking. Ironically enough, I was on a cruise ship that day and thought it appropriate to inform everyone at my dinner table of said anniversary. I felt like a total nerd! Now I feel better though. :)

--Becky P.

Becky said...

I meant validated, not vindicated. With that cleared out of my mind - back to work!