Wednesday, May 17, 2006

SPARAGUS?


While shopping in Food 4 Less yesterday, I witnessed a most disturbing sight...cartons and cartons of asparagus, topped with a bright yellow sign reading: "SPARAGUS." Now, perhaps the average joe would disregard this unfortunate verbiage, but I hale from Stockton, CA...home of the Asparagus Festival, and producer of 70-80% of domestic asparagus. No one seemed to give this sign a second thought, but it was an unheralded reminder of home for me. This April, I missed the festival for the first time in years.

Many of my friends have had a hard time grasping the concept of an "Asparagus Festival," writing it off as a few roadside carts full of green veggies placed at an intersection in some hick-town. I'm here to dispell those images, and testify to the valley fun we have annually at the Stockton Asparagus festival!



Festival-goers wait hours in line to get some Deep Fried Asparagus.

...And this is worth the wait! YUM!

The festival takes over the downtown waterfront, and offers lots of entertainment.



The festival also showcases Stockton's diversity.

What a fun day for the whole family!

3 comments:

Will said...

Ok, so you guys have SPARAGUS Festivals. We have "abandoned house parties!!"

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»