Thursday, May 04, 2006

10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health


I just finished reading Donald Whitney's "How to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health" with the Biola staff and faculty. If you are a checklist sort of bloke, you will probably glean from these benchmarks. However, as we discussed around the lunch table yesterday, disciplines and checklists won't do you any good if you aren't IN LOVE with Jesus in the first place. (Donald Miller writes extensively about this in his book "Blue Like Jazz," which I highly recommend.)

1. Do you thirst for God?
2. Are you governed increasingly by God's Word?
3. Are you more loving?
4. Are you more sensitive to God's presence?
5. Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others?
6. Do you delight in the Bride of Christ? (the church)
7. Are the Spiritual Disciplines increasingly important to you?
8. Do you still grieve over sin?
9. Are you a quicker forgiver?
10. Do you yearn for Heaven to be with Jesus?

I'll share with you one of my favorite quotes from A.W. Tozer, also referenced in this book, that pretty much sums it up for me:
"O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more.
I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire.
O God, I want to want Thee;
I long to be filled with longing;
I thirst to be made thirsty still."

Blessings to you as you continue to grow in Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»