Saturday, December 11, 2010

Remembering By Candlelight

Tomorrow (Sunday) is a day set aside to remember children who have passed away at any age, from any cause, hosted by The Compassionate Friends.  Some cities are hosting vigils where family and friends can congregate.  We will be lighting a candle in our home to remember Derek.  If you would like to join us in lighting a candle for Derek, or for another loved one, you can do so from 7-8 p.m. (in your time zone) and join thousands of others lighting up homes around the world with memories and prayers.  You can also sign the Remembrance Book online if you wish.

The holidays are especially difficult for those who have lost family and friends.  How have you chosen to honor and remember those you love during the holiday season?  I'd love to hear your traditions, as this is new territory for us.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Great question, Jayme. I've been thinking the same thing lately - this is my first Christmas without my grandpa and it's been tough. Something I did earlier this week was make his favorite meal and then I delivered it to his neighbor with a note from me saying how much I value him and the friendship that he had with my grandpa. He still comes over and will mow the lawn and rake leaves so it was more of a thank you but now that I think of it, it definitely honored my grandpa's memory. Sometimes I get caught in how much I miss him and fail to think about how his friends miss him too...