Thursday, April 01, 2010

Old Job, New Job.

At my old job, I was showered, dressed and out the door by 7:30 a.m.
At my new job, I'm lucky if I shower or get out of my pajamas at all.

At my old job, I spent nights and some weekends grading papers and filling out report cards.
At my new job, I spend nights and weekends playing, holding, feeding and changing...24 hours a day.

At my old job, my floor at home was littered with books and papers that needed to be read or graded.
At my new job, my floor is littered with swings, activity mats, toys and burp rags.

At my old job, I lived for the smile on a student's face when they finally "got it".
At my new job, the smile of one baby gives me all the confidence I need as a mommy.

At my old job, I dealt with all kinds of parents...the good, the bad and the ugly. I took copious notes.
At my new job, I'm putting into practice what I learned from successful families, and gleaning from new examples in my life.

At my old job, I received a paycheck and benefits.
At my new job, my pay and benefits are not monetary.

At my old job, I raced the clock to grab lunch and eat it in time.
At my new job, I can grab some food out and take a post-lunch stroll if I wish.

At my old job, I came home with marker-stained hands.
At my new job, I consistently smell like spit-up and baby lotion.

At my old job, I spent hours planning memorable experiences for my students.
At my new job, my daughter gives me memorable moments daily.

My old job: TEACHER.
My new job: MOMMY.

4 comments:

@Sklake said...

I am jealous, because I get to juggle both of the jobs mentioned. Cherish every moment, because I look at my little baby who turns one year old in a few short weeks. :)

Mom Stav said...

I continue to love what you define as your "new job" every day because once a mommy, always a mommy!

Donna said...

You have always done every job well, from gift-wrapping to teaching, but your new one is the best of all. I'm so glad you get to experience the indescribable joy of being a mommy. Kendall is a blessed little girl to have you and Chris for parents- You both are doing an awesome job!

CARRIE E said...

Jamie...
You are so amazing! Your words are definately true! So glad you are enjoying the new job and definately priceless... Bless you and your wodnerful little fam:)