Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mad Culinary Skills.


Looks good, yes?
I have been ambitious lately, planning and cooking more meals now that Kendall can entertain herself or watch me.
The above was a yummy, easy pasta dish.
It was hot and ready at 5 o'clock, in time for Chris to eat when he got home from work...
Except he didn't get out of surgery until 7:00 p.m...
So it was cold and didn't look this pretty (good thing I took a picture!)...
And, because he is finicky about eating leftovers, I ended up eating most of it throughout the week...
Which is why I don't like cooking.

But here is the recipe nevertheless.

ZUCCHINI, CORN, and BASIL FUSILLI WITH BACON
Serves 6 (or two, with one of us eating a WHOLE lot more than the other...)

6 bacon slices (I added more...because it's BACON!)
1 lb fusilli
3 ears corn, kernels cut from cob
1 1/2 lbs zucchini, coarsely chopped
1 (5- to- 7 oz) container basil pesto
Accompaniment: Parmigiano-Reggiano to top

Cook bacon in 12 inch heavy skillet over med heat, turning occasionally until crisp. Drain on paper towel, discard drippings.
Meanwhile, cook fusilli in a pasta pot of boiling salt water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then add veggies to pasta in pot and cook, partially covered, 2 minutes (water will stop boiling). Drain.
Add pasta with veggies to skillet along with pesto and 1/4 cup reserved cooking water and toss. Season with salt and moisten with additional water if necessary.
Top with crumbled bacon and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm so going to try this. Just up my alley-fast, easy and BACON! ;0) And you're not alone, my hubby doesn't much like leftovers either and he's hardly ever home for dinner. It's why I end up eating chicken nuggets all the time.

Jamie Stavenger said...

Jenny- it took me less than 20 minutes, start to finish. Literally. Enjoy!

Penny Bryan said...

I copied, pasted, and printed...planning to try it this week. Sounds delicious!

I was just talking with Jeff Stahl about him teaching so many people to ski and I mentioned your name (your pre-Kendall skiing/birthing a baby post).

Hope all is well in MN.