Friday, March 19, 2010

She Keeps No Record of Wrong.


Let's review shall we?

I clipped Kendall's finger with the clippers. Not her nail, her FINGER.
I locked my baby in the car.
I've bumped her head on the handle of the infant seat multiple times.
I held her down while the doctor pierced her skin with a sharp metal needle three times.
Last night I scratched her chin with my wedding ring (I'll blame this on Chris for giving me such a big, fat diamond ;)

Before you call CPS, let me say that each of these instances absolutely broke my heart. And, obviously, continuing to keep a tally on every mistake I make as a mother will keep me discouraged.

When she looked up at me this morning with big blue eyes and scratched chin, I knew she had forgotten about it. And if I'm going to count anything, it should be all the smiles I get that assure me that she loves her mommy.

The spiritual parallel to this illustration may be obvious. As we enter this Easter season, I remember the wounds that Jesus bore on my behalf. And while I didn't deserve it, he forgave me and has kept no record of my wrong-doing.

Kendall will not always be so forgiving (the teenage years, after all, are only 13 years away...). But I'll always be her mommy, love her unconditionally and never hurt her intentionally.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Totally nicked Luke's finger with the nail clippers the very first time I tried and on the very first finger. I felt AWFUL! I stopped immediately and put them away for at least another month before I attempted it again. I'm happy to report that the second time went much better.

Anonymous said...

Children often show us the way ...