Monday, March 01, 2010

The Mom Diaries


Kendall is now two months old. It has been the most exhilarating and challenging two months of my life. Admittedly, for the last few weeks I've felt like my entire body is a clenched fist. To an extent, I've felt imprisoned in my home or under a sleeping baby. I've had no motivation to venture out into the world- it's just too much work. This feeling, I know, is nothing short of normal for new mommies.

Sunday night, I decided to intentionally regain some of my freedom. Yesterday, the sun was shining and enough incentive for me to get out of the house. So I packed up Kendall and ventured to the mall with stroller in tow. I spent about an hour just walking around- grabbed a coffee along the way and enjoyed my stroll. Kendall is a great traveler...the lull of the stroller quickly put her to sleep. I loved it so much that I decided to do it again today! With the weather warm-ish (high thirties...I can't believe this is my new warm....) but not yet warm enough to walk outside, the mall is a great option for me. I could spend hours at Barnes and Noble alone- that store is a drug!

I've also been putting Kendall "down" more often, letting her learn some self-soothing methods on her own. This is mutually beneficial, as I can then complete much more work at home. The Baby Bjorn has also gotten some use, although Kendall hasn't decided that she loves this apparatus yet, and never fails to let me know...very loudly.

Yes, I'm slowly getting the hang of this mom thing. And accolades are due for typing this whole thing with one hand. :)

8 comments:

MomStav said...

You are an awesome mom and doing what most of us moms do . . . learn as you go what works best for you! Love you!

Becky said...

Luke hasn't been a huge fan of the baby backpack carrier either.

And one handed typing - especially with capitals and punctuation - that IS impressive! Although I'll be infinitely more impressed if it was also on a touch screen. :)

Emma said...

Moms learn to do a lot of things one handed! I used a wrap for Amy and she loved it! I never had a Baby Bjorn. I'm sure she'll get used to it.

grandma Mc said...

Jamie what is a bjorn? I love hearing of your daily episodes brings back sweet memories. You are a great mom Jamie believe it. I love you Grandma

Grandma Mc said...

Jamie what is a Bjorn I love reading about all your "mommie" episodes. Brings back sweet memories. You are a wonderful mom believe It. I love yu Grandma

Anonymous said...

You are too cute, and so is Kendall. I love reading everything you write James. You are loved :) - Mandy Baker

Jamie Stavenger said...

Hey Amanda! You figured out how to comment! YAY!

Anonymous said...

She might like a Sling...they take some getting used to but I switched to one with Sarah and its worked wonders....you are doing a great job! Yes accolades are given...i completed a 12 units of college (delta online) one handed! I truly is hard! Keep up the good work :)