Sunday, March 28, 2010

Moments So Dear.


Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes,
How do you measure, measure a year...

...so the song goes.

I've been thinking a lot about time this week.

Chris will officially start a new year on Friday, Kendall will grow a week bigger, I'll pull out yet another gray hair (yes, they are there, though in much smaller supply since I stopped teaching!).

Last week, my Stockton church family lost another young person tragically. Unlike losing Derek, this came unexpectedly and there is still a lot of confusion. For some reason, Amy was called back to heaven. And for some reason, I am still here.

While I'm horribly embarrassed to share this, it was a wake-up call for me: After playing a game of Boggle on my iPhone today, I glanced at the accumulated time of play (yes, it records this so you can see how pathetic you are...). It currently reads "2 DAYS, 20 HOURS, 10 MINUTES." 2 DAYS! (Anyone dare challenge me to a game of Boggle?)

Now, in my defense, that has almost exclusively been time I've spent nursing in the middle of the night. But it's time I could definitely be reading...or praying...or gazing at my baby who is growing right before my eyes.

There are no time-outs from life. Every moment counts- and I'll be the first to say I need to be a better steward of my time.

2 comments:

Kristina (Ecker) Noe said...

Thank you for this post... I had the EXACT same thoughts and feelings as you're describing when my dad told me about Amy a couple hours ago. It really makes one re-evaluate even the little choices we make each day... Prayers and love to her family in this time.

Donna said...

If I calculate my Scramble time, I’m sure it goes into weeks. But, as I often remind day care parents, do not underestimate the value of play. It inspires imagination and serves many purposes in creative and constructive learning. As adults, games give our minds a needed break from the weighty thoughts of the day. What better tribute to Derek and to Amy, who both loved games and just having fun! Make no apologies, and keep right on playing.