Friday, July 03, 2009

How My Sunglasses Died.

I have bragged about my seemingly invincible sunglasses before.
They endured three moves, many vacations and much abuse.
I loved them.
And now they're gone.
They met their end yesterday at a volleyball match.
About a week ago, I was sitting on the couch after returning home from a coffee outing.
They were propped on top of my head where, once indoors, I often forget about them.
Chris got home shortly after me.
I was too lazy to get off the couch, so he came over to give me a kiss.
As I looked up, they slipped off the back of my head.
I made a mental note..."pick them up before I sit on them".
But I didn't. I started talking to Chris about his day at work, blah, blah, blah...
Crack.
I excavated them to survey the damage...
Not too bad- one of the ear things was bent at the hinge.
I carefully repositioned it and...voila! Like new!

Except it wasn't like new.
They were silently suffering, every time I opened and closed them.
That brings us to yesterday....
I was cheering on Chris at a volleyball match and, despite the cloud cover, thought it was a little bright for me.
I pulled them out of my purse.
They disintegrated in my hand.
I looked at disbelief, thinking I'd just reassemble them,
but the hinge had completely broken.
It was finished.

I guess they weren't as invincible as I thought.
But they were a darned good pair of sunglasses.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I had a pair like that, and then one day I was at work and leaned down to talk to one of my Kindergarteners, and they fell off my head and snapped. :( Every time a pair breaks, or disappears, I fret that I'll "never find another pair like them," but I always do, so just in case, never fear! You'll find another 'invincible' pair in no time! :)

Jamie Stavenger said...

Ahhh...I bought a new pair, but they just weren't the same. So I went online and found the exact same kind- and ordered them. I'm now happy again!