Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Let's Settle This: Sherbet


This argument has actually gotten so intense that I've rolled down my window to survey people in other cars. What I've found is that there is a large population of people who have strayed from their grammatical common sense to perpetuate a gross mispronunciation of the word "Sherbet". Now, let's look at the word together, shall we? Sher-bet. I see one "r" in the middle of the word. Somehow, for some reason, some of you are sneaking in an extra "r" at the end...making it into "Sher-bert". But it isn't. You're like the people that say "warsh" instead of "wash" or "pop" instead of "soda" (okay...low blow to the Minnesotans. I take it back.) The point is, when did it become okay to throw extra "r"s around randomly?

Whart is your orpinion?

9 comments:

MLasch said...

It's because the people of Boston and New York aren't using their fair share of r's. They say, "New Yok" instead of "New York" or "hea" instead of "here". It's a simple conservation principle. There are a certain number of r's in the universe, they don't disappear, they just appear elsewhere in another form.

Angela said...

You're going to hate me for this, but ol' Merriam-Webster lists "sherbert" as a variant of "sherbet." So technically, the sherberts of the world aren't as wrong as you think. ;)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sherbet

Emma said...

I remember saying sherbeRt as a kid, but I finally realized there was no "r". Now I have to correct my hubby and kids! Maybe it's not worth the effort!

Sarah said...

I totally agree! it's kind of like when people say "eXpresso". Where in the world did they come up with the "X"? it's "eSpresso", people!!

;-)

Rachel said...

I can't believe I have never noticed that! I have never ever heard anyone say Sher-bet! In fact, if they did I probably wouldn't have known what they were talking about :-) I'll have to check the sher-bert that's in my freezer and see how it's spelled. Question though - are we sure it's not pronouned Sher-bay like Sorbet?

Trish said...

I totally think that Sher-bay is a great meeting place, LOL! I or say sor-BET to even the playing field. I too have never noticed that the second 'r' is not even there...and am totally dissappointed with myserlf :) Sher-bert I love you...but not as muce as Sor-Bert...

Jamie Stavenger said...

Angela, I lost faith in Merriam-Webster when they added the word "CRUNK". :)

Jenn Glenn said...

WOW, you have opened my eyes to a tidbit of info I never knew. I've always said, "Sherbert" because that's what you get at 31 Flavors..."Rainbow Sherbert." I now know better (and people wonder where I get all this random trivia info from!)

jmom said...

Mmmm. sherbert and expresso. Sounds expecially good! ;)