Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tips for Cold Weather


Believe me, I've had to learn the hard way! Having been through a partial winter here in Duluth, I've picked up some tips that help ME stay sane in this crazy climate (it's 16 degrees outside as I type). This may be old news for you seasoned northerners, and may be totally irrelevant to you sunny Californians, so I suppose it's just a "note to self".

*When leaving in the morning, get in your car BEFORE opening the garage door. This will help you to avoid unkind, frigid morning drafts.

*Take the time to button or zip the jacket. Your neck and tummy will thank you for it.

*Cozy up with a blanket through which the T.V. remote will work. That way you can change the channel without removing your hands from the warm covering.

*SPACE-HEATER.

*Light a candle. At least it will SMELL warm!

*Wait a few minutes before turning on the car heater. The car has to warm up, too!

(By the way, since we don't have a fireplace, the picture above is wishful thinking. If only it were that easy...)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, 16 degrees, that's pretty cold. As I type this it's a nice and sunny 61 degrees in beautiful Las Vegas. In fact, the windows are open as well as the back door and I'm enjoying a nice breeze. Are you jealous yet? Thought so............ :)

Phil said...

Odd, it's another Phil! This is the one in California...

On the subject of through-blanket remote control. One word: Slanket

http://www.theslanket.com/

http://alberico.net said...

Phil in Vegas, enjoy that 61 degrees because in a few months it'll be 900 again! There really is nothing beautiful about vegas, unless you like dirt or man made structures!

Anonymous said...

You can cuddle with your husband if you like. I'll keep you warm.

Jamie Stavenger said...

Ooh! I'll take you up on that, husband!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jamie, you crack me up! Does the "buy the longest, warmest, "down-est" coat you can find make more sense now?

Yeah, we had 90's last weekend--and smoke and ash, and all kinds of nasty stuff. Converged over Biola and moved right over the LBC. Nothing like a warm day and you have to leave the windows CLOSED!

I'll take the cold (but you already knew that)

shelley

Jamie Stavenger said...

Angelo...I think if you knew my good buddy Phil in Vegas, you two would be BFF! You have always reminded me of each other...both good guys, too!

Unknown said...

Dude, have you ever been to Vegas (at least outside of The Strip)? Incredible desert landscapes, incredible sunsets, ......... There is SOOOO much more to Vegas than The Strip, that's actually only a very small part of it.

http://alberico.net said...

I have nothing against Phil (in Vegas) and yeah I've been to vegas more times then I care to admit, as far as deserts go it's better than some (basically all on the way from CA to Nevada) but if I HAD to live in a desert state, I'd choose Arizona or New Mexico, now we're talking about beauty/color in the desert. All that being said, I'd much rather live in a mountainous state than a desert state, I just can't take the copious amount of heat!. :)

Angela said...

Ah, brings back memories of Wisconsin...

Specifically I remember the first day my car had been sitting in the church parking lot since 8 a.m. (and it was 9 p.m) on a day when it was in the teens. My bottle of water was frozen solid, and I seriously thought I was going to lose a limb, or at least a digit. I wanted to cry, but I was afraid the tears would freeze to my face.

Hey, I didn't say they were good memories!