Sunday, November 02, 2008

All in a Year's Time.


One year ago today, Chris was sitting in my apartment when I got home from work, and proposed to me on my couch. He then swept me away for an amazing weekend in Monterey. If you haven't read the story, you can read it here.

I was flipping through a bridal magazine at the grocery store yesterday. While it brought back many great memories of wedding planning adventures, it also made me a little sad. All the wedding excitement is long gone. I won't get to call Chris my Fiance anymore. I won't get to try on any fancy white dresses. I won't get to have all of my friends in the same place at the same time ever again. These things I lament. We had six months of wedding mayhem and, it's true, it goes by too quickly.

But, having been married half a year now, I would have done nothing different. And, for the record, Minnesota hasn't been THAT bad :) I think of couples who are engaged for years, and I know I could not have handled that! Our original wedding date was in July...and THAT seemed like an eternity from November!

My question for you-
How long were YOU engaged?
How did that work for you?

P.S. I love you, Chris! :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was engaged for about 6 months. It went by quickly. I don't think I could've waited too much longer. My wife rules. I LOVE YOU!

Roxeanne said...

Phil and I were engaged for a year and a half (and dated for 9.5 years before we were engaged). I wouldn't change a thing. It really gave us time to plan the wedding (and I got my masters) without feeling rushed. It may not work for some, but for us it was the best plan. =)

Emma said...

Our engagement was really short. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it's what was best for us. We were engaged for 2 months, and we are more in love than ever, more than 9 years later.

Jamie Stavenger said...

DANG! How do you book a venue in two months! :)

angelina said...

We were engaged for 5 1/2 months. It seems short, but it felt like eternity for us!! I love being married, and can't imagine still being engaged had we waited a full year!

bobby said...

1 year + 1 month.
Too long.
Sucked.

http://alberico.net said...

We were friends for almost a year before we dated. We then dated for about 5 years and were engaged for 11 months... so from the time we were friendly to marriage it was more than 6 years! Then another 3 years and 4 months and we have a baby!

The engagement seemed like it was going to be a long time but it really went quickly. It seemed to work fine, Lori was HIGHLY organized and had been maid of honor for two weddings so she knew exactly what to do.

Angela said...

- Met in May.
- Started dating in August.
- Engaged in December.
- Married in May.

What can I say? We were decisive.

Becky said...

Justin and I were engaged for 4 months and even in that short amount of time I was ready to elope before it was over! We're celebrating 10 years together in a couple of weeks! Crazy!

Lynnae Hoff said...

Chris and I met in September; got engaged the following September and married four months later in January. It was perfect timing for us. For some it may seem short but for us it was PERFECT! He's the perfect one for ME. So happy for you and glad you are enjoying being married, it's great isn't it?

Sarah said...

Matt and I dated for 3 1/2 years, and were engaged for 10 months. A year seemed like forever to us!

Of course, we saw each other every single day. So it wasn't as rushed.

Anonymous said...

Met in July,
Engaged in October,
Married the following June, a month after we finished our UWP tour.
Just celebrated 35 years.
A short engagement worked best for our long-distance relationship, too!

Anonymous said...

We were engaged 11 months, as it took that long to get up enough nerve to tell my son and get his blessings. He was very happy for us. I was single 30 years before I met my present husband. To long. We have been married 8 years.

Becky said...

We were engaged for 13 months...I think....I have a horrible memory! Long, but we were living 4 hours away from each other for most of it.

Anonymous said...

We were engaged for eight months, a good amount of time to plan the wedding since it was not local. Actually, we had already set the date and booked the reception site before we got engaged!! How funny is that? :)

Anonymous said...

Met, got engaged, got married, all within 5 months. Celebrated 20 year anniversary this past August.