Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm A Law-Abiding Resident of Minnesota.


I believe the law here says you have 30 days to replace your license plates from the day you move to the state. Well, I've been here since January, driving around with California plates. I don't think that's made me a popular person here. We recently got pulled over by the police- and after telling us he was pulling us over for speeding, he made some snarky comment about how we're probably "used to driving fast, being from California". Well, the joke's on him, because the CALIFORNIAN in the car was not at the wheel at the time. :) Anyway, that won't be happening anymore (the sarcastic jokes, that is...I can't speak for Chris' driving record) because I paid a visit to the DMV to get my new plates. The conversation at the window went like this:

Me: I just moved here from out of state, and I need Minnesota license plates.
Woman at window 1: Where did you move from?
Me: California.
Woman at window 1: Why did you move HERE?!
Woman at window 2 to woman at window 1: Well, aren't YOU the Minnesota welcoming committee!

Now, my Honda is a proud resident of the state that may elect Al Franken to Senate. (gag reflex simulated)
We're both very proud.

5 comments:

http://alberico.net said...

Congratulations!

How much was registration?

Thanks for expressing your disgust for Franken...

Anonymous said...

And how long were the lines? I visted Oregon over the summer, and found that they have DMV offices in many shopping centers. No lines. And very cheap to register your car. No multiple fees like here in California.

Kevin said...

wow, that was pretty darn uneventful compared to my efforts of renewing my license plates. My example to arrive in a few hours/days. who knows

Anonymous said...

Anyone need a backgammon game?

Anonymous said...

Ummm, Jamie, Minnesota is the state that elected Jesse "the Body" Ventura as Jesse "the Gov"

Not our best moment, to be sure. Pawlenty is still cleaning up that mess...

When we lived in MN your tabs expired at the end of the month of your plate sticker. Then you have ten days GRACE to get the new ones on. I won't even bore you with the details of how many fines and fees we got in cars alone!

And did the lady in window 3 say to the other ladies, "ya, sure you betcha, don't cha know?"

Missing autumn and so glad you have posted your pics!
shelley