Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Move Over, Rachael Ray!


Hi, folks!
Well, with so much time on my hands (the job hunt continues...), I've taken to experimenting in the kitchen! This was not possible in my "previous" life. With Bible Studies, Band rehearsals, staff meetings, work events, my dinner routine usually involved a drive-thru. But, in the interest in sharpening my homemaking skills, I've been breaking in our new pots and pans. And I'm happy to report that I've moved beyond mac 'n cheese and simple pastas! Yes, I've been digging deep into my cookbooks and recipe box. Here are some of our favorite dishes so far!

*Fajita salad with creamy cilantro-lime dressing
*Basil chicken in coconut-curry sauce
*Apricot-sauced Pork Medallions
*Potato casserole (okay...this doesn't count as tricky, but it's a fave!)
*Turkey burgers with horseradish and cheddar cheese (Thanks, Phil and Roxeanne, for turning us on to this one!)
*Bacon and creamy ranch chicken burgers
*Italian mini meat loaves with mac 'n three cheeses
*and, of course, my "famous" guacamole!

Incidentally, we DO visit the gym on a regular basis! :)

What have you been cooking up lately?

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I love trying new recipes too! I just made a great prociotto and brie quesadilla - the recipe called for thinly sliced cantelope - but I didn't have it so I left it out. It would have been a great combo of salty and sweet though.

Definitely an unconventional quesadilla!

Perksofbeingme said...

I love cooking, but my favorite thing in the world is to bake. And everything I bake is from scratch. It wasn't until my senior year in high school that I found out you could make cake from a box. Please don't laugh at me :)

Jamie Stavenger said...

I have hight hopes for baking...it's a romantic idea. But the thought of stirring things for hours deters me. Hopefully I'll have enough Target $$ from the wedding left to get a Kitchenaid mixer. THEN we'll be in the baking BUSINESS!! (and I'll have to visit the gym much more!)

Perksofbeingme said...

I don't really like sweets so it's ok that I like to bake because I can then give away everything I make. When cooking you know what foods to put together, what not to mix. Everything is organized chaos and it's a great place for me to relax and regain control.

Jamie Stavenger said...

Hmmm...I never thought of cooking like that :)