Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm Bringing Soda Back.


It's true, a Minnesota accent makes me giggle. And I'm slowly getting acquainted with the different expressions used here. One thing is very apparent: I have left the land of "soda" for the land of "pop". And as much as I hear it ordered at counters or called for in supermarkets, I can't bring myself to say it. I'm sticking with 31 years of using the term "soda"- soda machine, soda can, soda, soda, soda.

Some clever people put together a whole website addressing this great debate. Check it out and see what people favor in your neck of the woods! www.popvssoda.com And when I woke up the other day, Chris had left this article up on the computer for me to digest.

So what say YOU, Closetsongs followers? West coasters, east coasters, and midwesterners... Register your vote here!

POP or SODA?
(Or maybe you're the generic "coke" fan...)

14 comments:

http://alberico.net said...

I prefer MinneSODA!

Anonymous said...

I vote Soda. My roommate in college called it "soda water", no matter the flavor. "Get me a soda water, Pepsi." So annoying.

Anonymous said...

Here in TN, folks go with the generic "coke" for everything - Pepsi, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, you name it. This seems way too nebulous to me. Like you, Jamie, I just can't bring myself to say anything but soda. I guess you can take the girl out of the west coast, but you can't take the west coast out of the girl!

angelina said...

SODA.

Ann said...

Let me be the first to vote POP. I guess that's what you get for growing up in MN!

Kevin said...

well us Hoosiers (even though i live in Cali KNow) Call it

COKE!

its soo much cooler to say Coke Machines vs. Pop or Soda Machine. It just don't feel right yhaere!

Emma said...

It's always been soda. My hubby grew up in Idaho where it was pop. I had roommates from the south where it was coke. Our kids say soda, much to the dismay of their father;)

LynzMiller said...

Soda all the way, I still giggle a little when Kirk's family offers me a "pop" hehe.

Anonymous said...

Soda! It just like weirdo's calling Quesidillas Chesse Krispies...what the heck.

Perksofbeingme said...

Ok, I've tried posting this comment several times, but let me try it again. Being in SC everything is Coke. You have to specify what type of Coke, but it's all Coke to me.

photoqueen said...

COKE, COKE and more COKE. Although I have been a COKE drinker for my whole life I recently gave up COKE.

This is strickly a SoCal thing.

love ya BFF.

Rick Bambrick said...

Having worked for Pepsico for a few years in my youth - I learned to call everything by its name. "I'll have a pepsi" or "Root Beer" or "coke" - of course everything clear is still "7up".

But POP vs. SODA - I choose SODA.

lauratrotter said...

Its gotta be soda. :)

Laura

bobby said...

Theory I established during touring:

West Coast (The right answer): Soda
Midwest: Pop
East Coast: Soda Pop (I guess...?)
South: They aren't the brightest so they just call everything Coke.