Tuesday, January 23, 2007

State of the Student Address


Tired. Beat-up. Crosseyed!

That's right, fellow Americans, I'm back in school! For those of you who DIDN'T know this information, I am OFFICIALLY a student again after being accepted with flying colors into Biola University's Master of Arts Program. At the conclusion of my coursework, I will have Master of Arts in Education with a concentration in Organizational Leadership. I figured that would be really beneficial with all the leadership and ministry roles I juggle. Its been a different experience so far, already realizing that Biblical integration is a large part of the education here, unlike CSU Sacramento- my undergraduate home.

And the 80% staff tuition waiver makes it worth it!

Currently, I'm taking a course in Health Science, which serves the dual purpose of Clearing my Teaching Credential and contributing toward Masters units. I can't believe the amount of work I've had to do in the last 2 weeks (Interterm courses last 3 weeks). My project now is writing a research paper. I'll be addressing the question of Spiritual Wellness in the Secular Classroom- a messy topic, even for seasoned faculty here. The question I propose is: In today's pluralistic society, is it appropriate for the public school to deal with with Spiritual Wellness, and CAN you positively impact a student's spirit without introducing the concept of a deity? I have yet to fall on one side of the argument or the other, but my research so far has been very interesting.

SO, every waking moment for the next week will be a slave of the books. I have nothing planned on the calendar. Not a fun week, but it will be over soon, and worth it.

On a lighter note, it brings me GREAT JOY to wish my dearest friend KIM CONNER a HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I LOVE YOU, GIRL!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am just reading this for the first time (we're digging up some dirt and searching out the old archives of blogville)...thanks so much my dear friend for the birthday love! =) MUAH! xoxoxoxo times infinity! kim