Thursday, January 11, 2007

Seven Years Ago Today....


....was my FIRST DAY TEACHING! I had graduated from Sacramento State in December, and fell into this position just as it was being vacated...a total stroke of God's provision. I had observed in the classroom for two days prior- and was unprepared for the transition so quickly. It was sort of a learn-as-you-go kind of thing, since I hadn't done a credential program, and hadn't taught anything outside of Sunday School. On my first day (which I didn't know was my first day, at the time....), the teacher I replaced said she had a meeting and asked if I could conduct the spelling test and assign the language homework. She never did come back to the classroom that day. From then on, I was IT! Scary, huh? With SIXTH GRADERS, no less. Aww, live and learn.

Chalkboards have become a thing of the past. Now it's whiteboards (which save the carpets from the horrible white dust). I'm sure students will miss making chalk clouds from banging two erasers together, but I won't. Since then, our world changed with 9/11/01, and security is MUCH tighter in all educational facilities. A sad omission from the classroom is the ability to bake a batch of cookies and bring them for the kids. Gone are the days of parent-facilitated potlucks, not with the threat of Anthrax staring us in the face!

Lots changes in seven years...like the fact that I'm not teaching anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary !!