Thursday, November 09, 2006

Reading is Fundamental!


Do you remember the RIF programs in Elementary School? Those were the best days! Our class got a special time slot in which we got to visit the school cafeteria, which was laden with tables full of books! We were ushered to our grade level reading and allowed to choose any book we wanted. One year I took home a Berenstein Bears book, and later I became the proud owner of "The Babysitter's Club." I read many of the books in that series. Following that exciting time in life, my appetite for fictional literature was curbed. Perhaps it was the mandatory reading of books like "A Brave New World" and "The Bell Jar" in H.S. that creeped me out. Maybe it was a newfound interest in Political commentaries and Christian Interest literature. Post-college, I returned to fiction by reading the Left Behind series, a highly-addictive sequence of novels about the Tribulation. I couldn't digest them fast enough! Then I started my credential program and again, reading was the first extracurricular leisure activity to go.

A few weeks ago, I was invited to join a book club, something that I have ABSOLUTELY no time for, but though it would be challenging for the mind. Our first book is a novel by Francine Rivers. As I read the back cover, I thought it would be a great read for me, as it discusses a Pastor's challenge with building up a dying church. So far, it's a great read- interesting characters and a plot that seems more real than it's fictional classification. What happens when you try to apply "mega-church" strategies to a church that a) is not a mega-church, and b) is not ready for it? The taxing life of this Pastor, his family, and the church congregants make it an interesting topic to read. Any other good books you'd like to suggest?

Here's a shout-out to WALLACE, my dear book-loving friend. I think you SHOULD open your own bookstore. You can call it "Barnes and Noble" and serve coffee. I think that would work out well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Jamie! I would LOVE to own a bookstore. Would that mean I get to read and drink coffee all day? :) You could provide the live music--sound good?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.