Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Collection of Thoughts

My dictionary.com tells me that todays "Word of the Day" is CONGERIES (con-jer-eez), which means "collection." It prompted me to think about the various collections I've had in my life. I suppose some people are more prone to collect things than others. I am a collector. I blame this on my parents, who each had/have collections of their own (though they share the golf ball collection). My dad is a maniac autograph collector, and has boasted collections of both model trains and Three Stooges memorabilia in the past. My mom has collected authentic Navajo rugs and jewelry, as well as a brief obsession with Barry Manilow (that's right...I'm letting out all the family secrets!) At some point, I decided that my precious collectibles, the items that I worked so hard to obtain, were no longer worth my attention and usually ended up in a garage sale. Here are SOME of the collections I have had:



Barbies
Micro Machines
Communion Cups (that one ended quickly.)
Stickers
Precious Moments Figurines
Shells
Pins
CDs
Italian Charms
Eiffel Tower everything
Wine Bottles (full ones)
Hardcover childrens books
White House Christmas Ornaments
Brass Christmas Ornaments from travelling* (This is my current favorite)

What do YOU collect?

6 comments:

Revolution Church said...

Vintage cameras
Vintage fountain pens

Rick Bambrick said...

Star Trek stuff(what a geek)
I used to collect anything Panda - but it soon became Panda-monium! (sorry, just had to do it).

Will said...

Matchbooks from restaurants
Small tin containers
Vintage european liquor posters

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kevin said...

I collect Spam. at least i think everybody does that.

But its great to see you have the appreciation for Micro Machines as well. I wonder if my parents still have mine. I had the coolest town. And never needed the directions on how to set everything back in its place.

Then there were rocking horses. I have no clue how i got this one. Both my sisters collected either bears or frogs. I got Rocking horses. I still remember the xmas like it was last year that i told my mom i don't like rocking horses... And then i opened up one of my presents and it was a rocking horse ornament. I just don't know how she got that. but anyways.

Transformers
MASK
Lego's
and stamps. That one didn't last too long

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you blabbed about my brief Manilow mania. At least you didn't mention the "Barry Gets Me Cookin" apron. By the way, I still have your Care Bear collection, still trendy toys for another generation of kiddies.