Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I'm Too Busy for You.


This might be the closest to "journalling" I've ever done on this blog. It's a venting of a personal frustration of mine, and it's time that the world knows it!

Those of you that know me are aware of the fact that I take great care in relationships. I value my friends and, consequently, I invest a lot of time and energy maintaining these relationships. To be honest, sometimes it gets tiring. Sometimes I don't want to...not because I don't value the friendship...but because being a good friend is work. It is. And in the end, it's worth it to me. I will always work to be a good friend.

This is why the phrase "I was busy" in response to why one didn't call me back is personal to me. Busyness is lame. I'm busy. You're busy. We're ALL busy. Let's just get that out on the table. But what IS busyness, anyway? Being busy is often an excuse for not doing something you should be doing. I know this because I'm often "too busy" for things. Too busy to pray. Too busy to sleep. Too busy to wash the dishes. Too busy to call you back.

But I'm really not "too busy." I'm just placing greater value on other things.

What else can I be "too busy" for? Too busy to vote? To serve? To hug a struggling friend?
Too busy to sleep? To eat? To exercise?
What if I didn't know Jesus? Would you be too busy to tell me about Him?

I understand that there are days that are legitimately busy. But when a friend calls you, is there REALLY NO TIME to call and say "I am really busy today....would it be alright if I call you tomorrow, when I can give you my full attention?" No five minutes while dinner is heating up? No five minutes on your way to the car? Wow. You are "busier" than me, if this is the case.

Don't call me a week later and tell me you were "too busy" to call me back. Unless you are Jack Bauer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Petersen!

Rick Bambrick said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I have often told "busy" people that I sure hope Heaven isn't busy when they get there...