Saturday, June 05, 2010

All Crocked Up.

Dear Crock-Pot,

I'm sorry I let you sit in the back of our cupboard for so long. You went for years without being used. I didn't understand, then, how you longed to help our family in convenience and deliciousness. Now that I've found you, we have a lot of catching up to do. I'm sorry if you've felt tired lately...I've been working you to the bone- every day, a new treat for us to enjoy.

Kendall likes helping, too, since she's such a happy, inquisitive baby in the morning. You've provided us with a special mommy/daughter project! And nothing beats the aroma that gently makes its way into every corner of the house as the hours pass. My husband is quick to exclaim "Mmmm! Dinner smells great!" when he walks in the door after work. And me- well, when I crack open the refrigerator door and see containers of leftovers, I feel like I've done my job as a wife. It's a strange sense of accomplishment, as cooking is a challenge for someone who doesn't particularly enjoy it.

Thank you for providing us with tasty
Baked Potato Soup,
Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs,
Breakfast Berry Bread Pudding,
Chicken Tortilla Soup,
Barbecued Chicken,
Wild Rice Salad with Fruit & Nuts,
Potato Casserole,
Cinnamon Apple Bread Pudding, and
Maple Glazed Meatballs.
I snagged a Crock-Pot cookbook from the bargain shelves at B&N, and it has more than paid for itself. We are very excited to experiment some more in the future.

At the risk of sounding totally geeky, we are Crock-Potters for life!
Sincerely,
The Stavenger Family

(Any Crock-Pot goddesses out there? Do share a favorite recipe with us! You say you don't have a Crock-Pot? Go get one! They're, like, twenty bucks, people! What are you waiting for!?)

5 comments:

http://alberico.net said...

Crock Pots rule! There are so many things you can make. Here are a quick few (off the top of my head) that I find myself making often: Chili, Chile Verde, Meat Sauce for pasta (think of the yummy pork and beef ribs soaking in that sauce ALL DAY!), Baby Back Ribs and much more.

Jenny said...

I LOVE crock pot cooking! I could eat crock pot food every day. So easy, especially for Sundays. But...my family hates crock pot cooking! :0( But I'm so glad that you've discovered how wonderful it is!

Angela said...

This isn't a recipe, just a little short cut of mine. Whenever I need a lot of chicken for huge batches of soup or enchiladas (or anything that calls for lots of cooked chicken), I put a whole chicken in all day the day before I need it -- two if I use my big crock pot (yes, I have two). Just generously salt and pepper and let it cook all day. Pull them out onto a cutting board, and you can chop, pull, shred or whatever you need to do to the chicken. Bag it up in a ziploc, and you've got your chicken ready for the recipe!

While you can't beat a whole chicken roasted in the oven, the crock pot is such a great short cut.

Jamie Stavenger said...

Thanks for the tip, Angela! And Angelo...yum!

Trish said...

Ooh I LOVE IT! I think of my crockpot every day. What can I make in you? But try to shoot for 1x per week!

Baby Back Ribs: Place ribs, w/ sliced onions, sprinkle seasonings (S&P, Garlic, etc) drench in BBQ Sauce. Cook 8 Hrs. Fall of the bone Ribs! Mmmmm!

Crockpot Chicken Tacos: Take 4 skinless (or as much as you want)chicken breasts, drench w/ salsa & add some taco seasonings. Cook 8 hrs, shred chicken w/ 2 forks and serve w/ Taco fixings! Great to freeze, great leftovers. You can google this recipe "Crockpot Chicken Tacos" for exact ingredients!

Good luck gal! I have a roast in my c. pot today! Not my fave, but the hubby & OJ love it!