Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Wicked World of Registries.


I'm not gonna lie...
The only reason I'm writing this post is because I'm delaying having to work on my online baby registry.

I HATE registries. Not the idea of the registry itself, but the process of inputting all the items and having to visualize EVERYTHING I need all at one time. My brain doesn't work that way. I hated the wedding registry, and I hate the baby registry just as much.

I realize this puts me in a rare and confusing category of women, right alongside those girls who don't like shoe shopping, or those girls that didn't cry at "The Notebook". (All true about me.)

I suppose registering for gifts would be semi-tolerable if I didn't live in Duluth, where the jenky shopping options leave little to be desired. Couple that with having showers in CA and MN, and the challenge of finding someplace that both states share, and my options narrow to one: Target. This caused the following chain of events:

1) Jamie starts registry online with Target. They don't carry our bedding or accessories, but I'll deal. Weeding out the "online only" items proved too big a task; we visited the local store instead.

2) Chris takes hold of the registry gun (with my supervision), but we are sorely disappointed with the half-empty shelves in the baby section. We find about half the necessary items. While my back is turned, Chris adds a baby Vikings jersey to our registry.

3) Chris deletes the baby Vikings jersey while Jamie watches.

4) Jamie gets back on the computer and finishes the online registry after hours of sifting through products.

5) Jamie discovers that our bedding and accessories, as well as EVERYTHING we registered for at Target is available at Bed, Bath, and Beyond! Stockton and Fargo both have this store....SCORE!

6) Jamie transfers the entire Target registry to Bed, Bath and Beyond. After deleting the Target registry, discovers that NO B,B&B actually carries baby products in store. Must now RE-REGISTER at Target.

This is currently where I am in the registry process. And after ALL of that, I still had to register at Babies R Us for a few incidentals. Hopefully our next child will be a girl so I NEVER HAVE TO REGISTER AGAIN!!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

And the frustrating part is that 75% of people won't get you what you are registered for anyway but you'll be totally stocked up on blankets and impractical (but insanely cute) clothes!

Donna said...

Too many mind-boggling decisions, I hear you! But, registries provide such a helpful service to those who want to choose a specific something that you need and want. So, maybe think of it as a 'shopping ministry?' Take your time, put your feet up, and sip a lemonade. No hurry, no worry.

Sarah said...

I am so right there with you. I hated our wedding gift registry! I don;t like shoe shopping, and I've never even seen The Notebook (and probably won't)! ;-)

Just be careful about registering at Target I love the store, but their return policy is "jenky"! When we got married, the return policy for things that you didn't have a receipt for were awful. You're only allowed to return 2 items per year that total less then $40-- even if you have a registry, and the same item listed was clearly purchased twice. So be careful!

There is a burlington coat fact. here, and I believe there is one in Duluth as well. They have a large selection of baby stuff. You may want to check it out!

Roxeanne said...

Sarah is right, especially since you're having a girl. There are too many cute things to buy that aren't practical or necessary.

To help with the whole process Phil and I had a friend who's a mom come with us to register, so we didn't get anything we weren't going to use. It really helped with streamlining.

My focus was to avoid Babies R Us, and do most of my registry at Target. It worked, but I still have to go to BRU about once a month. Stupid monopoly.

mrsuribe said...

We don't know each other but I go to Revolution and "spy" on your blog every so often. Amazon has a registry too. I didn't use it, but a friend did and it was very easy to use.

Jamie Stavenger said...

Jenny, I FEEL like I know you since I hear your name so often! Anyway, Amazon is a great tip- however, I needed a non-online-only registry (or else I would have kept B,B & B!). If most people are like me, they need to be able to run into the store the day before (or...clears throat...the day OF) the shower and grab a gift. Target has sooooo much that is online only! THANK YOU for stopping by the blog! :)

Sarah said...

Jamie, What about boxedup.com? It's a universal registry, and you can add anything, from any store. Then once a person buys it, they can "reserve" it on your page so other people know it had been claimed! Just a thought!

the husband said...

Sweetheart, please don't ever use the word "jenky" again. It is the dumbest word in the world. And now I can get my little daughter a Brett Favre #4 jersey!!

Jamie Stavenger said...

Sweetheart, I'll stop saying "jenky" when you stop saying everything "rules". I left "rules" behind in Jr. High.

Jeannie said...

I'm thinking that it's perfectly fine to have more than one registry.. you can use both the Target and BB&B (just don't double register, of course) I understand wanted to have a brick and mortar store for all the... eh hem.. slackers. But for the people who are too lazy to go to the store, you may as well keep the BB&B registry with the bedding.. who knows, someone may want to get that for you!

bobby said...

Chris - grow some and put the jersey on there for good this time!

Jamie, I'm so disappointed in you for even making him take it off. Where are your priorities anyway? Unless of course you made him take it off cause you think she really needs a little powder blue LT Chargers jersey. Then we're cool again.

Jamie Stavenger said...

Bobby...the Vikes jersey may go back on, just to spite you. :)