Thursday, March 12, 2009

Settling In to the Passenger Seat.


We are taking a road trip to Minneapolis this weekend, and my hubby has informed me that I'm driving. We'll see about that.

One thing I've learned is that I'd rather be in the passenger seat if I'm in the car with Chris Stavenger. Otherwise, all I hear is "honey, get in that lane,""don't turn here, hun,""Jay, go around this car"...you get the idea. We were slated to share driving responsibilities on our latest multi-state excursion, but once on the road, Chris "offered" to drive the whole way. He explained to me that this is because he has a hard time trusting my driving (or anyone elses'...it's nothing personal.). OK- I'll give him the inclement weather perspective- I have much less experience with icy roads. But for day-to-day driving- come on! I've retorted numerous times with the following statistics:

1) I got around just FINE prior to meeting him! I must be semi-competent!
2) Not ALL California drivers are bad.
3) I have LESS accidents on my record than he does.
4) I have almost 4 years MORE driving experience!

He doesn't dispute any of this, and the whole thing is really amusing to me. Frankly, I don't mind the passenger seat. For one, I don't have the pressure of reaching driving perfection, AND it's the only seat that's heated. (smile) And if that's the worst hang-up my husband has, well, I'm fine with that.

Spill it....how do you split up the driving in YOUR family?

9 comments:

Trish said...

Well it sounds like Chris & Corey have a LOT in common : ) Most of the time Corey does drive. If I do drive for any amount of time further than accross town I hear the same back seat driving tips I am sure Chris gives. Then my poor tender heart gets hurt & the drive is miserable...so mostly I just let him drive and remind him when he says how tired he is from driving how he really feels about me driving!

PS: HAVE A GREAT TIME AT THE HOCKEY TOURNEYS!!!

Emma said...

Typically Aaron drives. I prefer it that way. For some reason he gets nervous when I drive. I haven't ever been in an accident, at least not when I was at fault. I've never damaged the car either, yet he still prefers to drive.
There are a few exceptions. If he is post call - he's not driving until he's taken a nap. If it's long trip and he's tired - I'll take over. If I am dropping him off somewhere most of the time I'll drive, why change drivers? - unless I don't know how to get there and he does.

Sarah said...

I'm guessing he doesn't know about the three speeding tickets you got in one weekend...oops!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Keith drives almost everywhere we go, and I hold on for dear life. Most of the time when we are in the car together it seems that the actual driving that he is supposed to be doing is the last thing that he is doing. He is usually playing with the radio, talking on the phone, or looking at stuff along the road. I am amazed that he doesn't run into people or things all the time when I am not with him, because I feel that I am always telling him to watch out.

Ted said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ted said...

I've always told Rosa that I get more rest when I'm driving than when she is!

Jamie Stavenger said...

Sarah...it was TWO...and it was a whole week. :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds very famliar! Peace reigns when Dad drives. On long trips, I take over only when he needs to sleep (since I can't) which keeps the 'backseat driving' comments to a minimum. And, since I have no sense of direction, letting 'Captain Compass' drive is fine with me.

Anonymous said...

How well I know. I haven' stopped yet to let him drive, however I have threatened to. I guess it is built in husbands.