Monday, March 16, 2009

Seeing Dollars and Sense.


Pardon the obvious homophone in the title. I was feelin' it.

One of the biggest adjustments I've had to make in married life is curbing my "instant gratification" spending. When I was single, I could shop whenever I wanted, answering only to myself. When it's not just MY money, however, I'm careful to run big purchases by my hubby first. And I've been REEEEEALLY good about avoiding frivolous spending.

BUT, I made the mistake of trying on a pair of jeans at the mall the other day. I've been wanting new jeans for QUITE some time, but have pushed it off. Well, after viewing some HORRIBLE pictures of me in borderline "mom jeans" recently, I decided new jeans were now a necessity. (Mom, I'm not talking about you specifically. Your jeans are very trendy.) The particular pair I tried on were out of my budget. After wracking my brain figuring out how I could justify the purchase, I did something I've never done before- I asked the clerk if they would be on sale any time soon. Sure enough, in two days, they were going on sale for 50% off! I picked up this tip from some Dr. Phil show...and it worked!

Long story short: I have new jeans. And it didn't break the bank.
Lesson learned: It doesn't hurt to ask. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Don't worry, I know that "mom jeans" is a generic term, but thanks for the disclaimer anyway. :) I give you credit for any fashion sense that I may have. Miss our WNTW nights!

Becky said...

I think spending money on a good pair of jeans is a good investment. Think of how often you wear you "go-to" jeans and compare this to all the shoes in your closet that barely get worn. Congrats on the good deal!

Jamie Stavenger said...

I agree, Becky. Jeans are ALWAYS a good investment!