Thursday, January 15, 2009

Taking the Ice.

Hi folks! In lieu of playing broomball tonight (cancelled because it's dangerously cold outside), I thought I'd blog about it instead! It's been an interesting experience, to say the least. Prior to moving to MN, I was more of an "indoor" sports girl. Heck, I was more of an "indoor" girl, period (this has served me well, being cooped up inside lately!). HOCKEY was a foreign idea to me, so Chris gave me an extensive tutorial on the sport. We've even been to a few hockey games. I'm a terrible ice-skater, so I have mad respect for those guys on the ice.

BROOMBALL, however, requires no skating...you just have to keep upright on the ice. The first week was rough. We didn't have the special shoes needed to maneuver on the slippery ice. Therefore, we could hardly move. Week 2- different story. $80 bucks made a big difference! Anyway, even with the shoes, we're still terrible. Much like our volleyball Cinderella story, though, I see a comeback in our future!



6 comments:

Angela said...

I've got to give it to you, Jamie. You're handling the cold pretty well.

Anonymous said...

Looking good!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you and how you are embracing our good old Minnesota! Marcus has a hockey helmet just like you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures, I had no idea how to visualize broomball. Good luck to Team Lakewalk and your comeback!

bobby said...

Wait a minute. Broomball and hockey...outdoor sports?

Jamie Stavenger said...

Yeah Bobby...we have air here that's cold enough to sustain ice rinks outdoors. Unbelievable, I know.