Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Great Croc Debate.


Okay...one of my friends on Facebook just bought Crocs for work, and subsequently asked the Facebook world if this compromised his "coolness". Almost instantly, he had nearly twenty comments, overwhelmingly against sporting the Crocs. This made me think, if so many people dislike them, WHY are they so DANG popular???

My personal opinion will trouble many of you...I don't like them. In fact, I intensely dislike them. Their ugliness outweighs any comfortableness they may claim. I can endure them on little boys and girls...they really don't look bad on the kiddos. But on grown men? Seriously?? They must be REAAAAALLLY comfortable for you boys to proudly galavant around in them.

Love 'em or hate 'em?

5 comments:

Angela said...

My brother is an anesthesiologist, and my mom is a nurse, and they both really like them for work. If your friend is a banker, he might think again about the crocs at work!

I'm on both sides of this issue. I think they're ugly, and I own 2 pair.

One pair was almost strictly a pregnancy shoe. The way I saw it was this: if my feet grow or swell temporarily during pregnancy, I don't want to ruin all of my shoes. So, I had those and 1 or 2 other pair (not crocs) that were my "pregnant shoes." In the end, I think I saved myself from having to buy a whole shoe wardrobe (although that would have been fun).

My other pair are the Mary Jane style for the summer. After over-wearing flip flops for the past several years, I had to get something that would be a little better for my feet, that I could tolerate in the southern heat an humidity and wear to and from the pool.

And that's how I got 2 pair of ugly crocs.

Anonymous said...

I have a pair for gardening. I don't have to look good there.

Sarah said...

I don't really understand why shoe manufacturers couldn't combine both comfort AND style. I agree the shoes are kind of cute on kids (and the little charms make them even better) but look-wise, they're just not practical for an adult. They're not exactly "office attire", and the funkiness prevents them from really matching anything.

We can travel to the moon, clone living things, and make computers the size of a marble, yet we can't come up with a totally functional shoe that looks good...

Becky said...

My friend made an astute observation about crocs on her blog several months ago. She described them as "skinned wiffle balls molded into dutch clogs." I thought it was a good description lol.

Anonymous said...

They are surely the work of Satan. I refuse to ever buy a pair for myself, my husband, or my child. Those things are NOT allowed in my house.