Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Professor's Last Day


Today was my last day as a "professor" with the conclusion of my First Year Seminar course. I had the best time facilitating this course, and absolutely loved the students I was working with. I'm really sad that it's over! Fortunately, I am retaining many of my students for academic advising, so I'll see them often. Today we chilled out under the trees and had a pizza lunch (which Biola provided for my students). I had the opportunity to pray for their years to come at Biola and to hear about their first weeks of college. Many of them are finding that they have more or less time than they expected, more or less homework than they expected, and are surprised that not all Biola students value the student contract. One girl said she is surprised that dating is taken so seriously here...as if it equals marriage (to which the one boy in my class responded, "hey...I just want to be your friend!)

Now, back to the daily grind. My current project is coordinating the Emerging Leaders Institute at the State Capitol in Sacramento. Some of our Biola Alumni and faculty (and me!) will be meeting with various legislators and policy makers in the Department of Education and Assembly. We'll get a first hand look at how educational policy is adopted and administered (the State Superintendent coordinator is a Biola alumni, as well). In previous years, our students have met with Governor Schwarzenegger's spokesman, who is also a believer. It will give me the opportunity to see a different side of Sacramento!

No comments: