Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fighting for Joy


Hello all. It's been an interesting week for me. I've been ill, overworked, frustrated and tired. What bothers me more is that my friends are seeing this "crumpled-up" side of me that even I don't enjoy. Normally, I can sift through life's rubbish to find God's gift of joy (and it IS a gift...Galatians 5:22). But lately, I feel like my joy has been all dried up, like a forgotten peach at the back of a refrigerator (as John Piper would put it). It was today during my devotional time that I was reminded that joy must be fought for RELENTLESSLY, and because faith births joy, I must continue to fight for faith. Sometimes, to be honest, this continual push towards complete faith leaves my heart weary.

The song "Effortless," by Rita Springer, has been a stuggle for me. The song begins with "May my praise be effortless, may my words come easily, may my worship be pleasing to You." It seems to contradict scripture that calls for our SACRIFICE of praise, yet, ohhhh I can identify with that longing to just accept God for God and to have this inherent fountain of joy always bubbling.

So, today is a battle and my sword is the word of God.

"Not that we lord it over your faith, but we WORK with you for your joy." (2 Corinthians 1:24)

"I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and JOY IN THE FAITH." (Phillipians 1:25)

"I have FOUGHT the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." (2 Timothy 4:7)

"Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called." (1 Timothy 6:12)

"And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who ENDURES to the end will be saved." (Matthew 24:12-13)

"RESTORE to me the JOY of Your salvation, and uphold me with a willing SPIRIT." (Psalm 51:12)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl! preach it. this week.....well, i'd rather forget it. went to your blog today for the first time in awhile ( sorry!) and found some much needed encouragement. Thanks babe!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the awesome encouragment and verses! Very much appreciated and needed! love ya!

Anonymous said...

I understand your feelings all too well! I always feel like things are crumbling around me. Most times have to convince myself that "all things work for the good of those who love him". When I really grasp that concept I typically experience real joy regardless of the circumstances.

I'll totally pray for you this week (and I'm not just saying that!)