Monday, June 05, 2006

Preparing for Africa


Hi friends, welcome back.

Thank you for being patient with me during my week hiatis from blogging!

I attended much-needed fellowship function with my short term missions team this weekend, as all of our meetings thus far have been hinged on training (safety, culture, teamwork, etc.) This was just dinner, and it was a wonderful time of getting to know my team on a more personal level. The demographics of our team have made me, at first, a little apprehensive about making close friends on this trip, but I've really been pleasantly surprised. I can see in my colleagues such nurturing, wise spirits. It will be a refreshing change of community! And I'm opening myself up to learning much from them.

Last night we each shared about our childhoods, and there is quite a variety of experiences represented on our team; from those who raved about their happy home to those who broke down in tears at just the memory. A good reminder that we all bring to the table different views of God and different experiences with others. Last night I prayed especially for an increased sensitivity to the emotional needs of others. It will be imperative on a trip like this.

We also laughed a lot. One of my new favorite people on our team is Eileen. She reminds me so much of my Aunt Carol, quirky and fun-loving, yet so nurturing and full of concern. I told her that in some ways she reminds me of Mister Rogers...I'm not sure she took it as a compliment, but it was certainly intended to be one! I love her soothing spirit and heightened appreciation of the things around her. And Ashley has been a welcomed blessing in my life! She and I are the "young ones" on the team, and I am sure thankful for her company! Plus, she is a resident, like I, of the LBC, so I have a buddy with whom I can commute to meetings!

I'm hoping to soon have a newsletter published with updates and specific prayer requests regarding our trip. If you would like to be a partner in prayer, please let me know! We'll need it!

Blessings on the Journey,
Jamie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie I've already started praying for you. By the way do you have to cover your pretty face?I'm glad you are back. Grandma

Jamie Stavenger said...

I won't have to cover my face. I will, however, need to wear full length skirts and cover my shoulders at all times.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

I have always admired you and your passion for the Lord above all else. Once again I am in awe of your servitude and willingness to serve Christ anywhere and anytime! God is using you...1 Cor 7:40

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»