Thursday, June 22, 2006

Most Frequently Used Noun...

Some of you know that linguistics is a subject that interests me a great deal. In fact, I've recently had dreams with verbiage that has sparked English discussions with faculty here at Biola. Although I don't consider myself to be a sequipedalian, I DO enjoy learning new vocabulary and looking at patterns in diction and dialect. I love people with accents...I find them fascinating. My friends are often frustrated by my constant correction of their grammar (too bad...they're better for it!) and I am usually very meticulous in my writing (which is why it takes for-e-ver to crank out one of these things). As a second grade teacher, I loved teaching parts of speech and parsing sentences.

Which is why, in my opinion, the following is so riveting! OXFORD UNIVERSITY created a study to find which NOUN is the most frequently used in the English Language, and the result might surprise you! I'll let you look for yourself, but I've included a hint in the picture here. See if you can guess...

The top 25 nouns are as follows:
25. fact
24. problem
23. group
22. number
21. company
20. government
19. point
18. case
17. week
16. work
15. place
14. woman
13. eye
12. child
11. part
10. hand
9. life
8. world
7. man
6. thing
5. day
4. way
3. year
2. person

And the number one MOST USED NOUN:
*check this out for the answer!
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060622064209990003&ncid=NWS00010000000001

(source: AOL news 06/22/06)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guessed it! The picture was a good clue. I am not surprised it is the #1 noun. It does tend to run our lives.

Jamie Stavenger said...

The answer: TIME