Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Not Just A Cardigan.

I've admired and respected the faith and character of Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers, as he is well-known) for many years.   His wisdom has lasted far beyond the framework of his children's television show and the span of his lifetime.  I received a couple books for Christmas full of "Important things to remember," according to the man in the cardigan himself.  Small quips and quotes, I thought I'd share some of the ones that have resonated with me in recent days.  Just a little "neighborly" gift from me to you.  :)

Some days, doing the "best we can" may still fall short of what we would like to be able to do, but life isn't perfect- on any front- and doing what we can with what we have is the most we should expect of ourselves or anyone else.


Confronting our feelings and giving them appropriate expression always takes strength, not weakness.  It takes strength to acknowledge our anger, and sometimes more strength yet to curb the aggressive urges anger may bring and to channel them into nonviolent outlets.  It takes strength to face our sadness and to grieve and to let our grief and our anger flow in tears when they need to.  It takes strength to talk about our feelings and to reach out for help and comfort when we need it.  


When I was a boy, I used to think that "strong" meant having big muscles, great physical power;  but the longer I live, the more I realize that real strength has much more to do with what is NOT seen.  Real strength has to do with helping others.


People have said "Don't cry" to other people for years and years, and all it has ever meant is "I'm too uncomfortable when you show your feelings.  Don't cry."  I'd rather have them say "Go ahead and cry.  I'm here to be with you."


Mutually caring relationships require kindness and patience, tolerance, optimism, joy in the other's achievements, confidence in oneself, and the ability to give without undue thought of gain.  We need to accept the fact that it's not in the power of any human being to provide all these things all the time.  For any of us, mutually caring relationships will also always include some measure of unkindness and impatience, intolerance, pessimism, envy, self-doubt, and disappointment.

I'm so glad you're my "neighbor" today!

No comments: