Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tough Stuff and Big Changes

You know that saying, "God will only give you what you can handle"?
Such a lie.
We deal with stuff all the time that we can't handle.  Sometimes it just feels like it's burying us.
And when we think we've reached our capacity for sanity, God assures us that He's there to carry the load- if we'll let Him.

So, I guess it should read, "God will only give you what HE can handle."
And I'm okay with that.



So it has been the last few months of our lives.  We've been thrown some serious curveballs that have put our faith to the test: 

A miscarriage in January.
Major home damage in February.
Countless bills from both of the above.
A job offer for Chris in a place far from where we wanted to move.

In the midst of it all, it was like walking through mud.  Our serene daily routine was replaced with contractors, phone calls, doctor appointments, paperwork, yadda yadda yadda.

And knowing that God was up to something, I tried putting the pieces of the puzzle together (which never seems to work).  God, you make ALL THINGS work together for the GOOD of those who love you (Romans 8:28).  This must be no exception!  As frustrating as it was, this was the truth to which I pressed in every day.

The culmination of all of this mess is that Chris accepted a position in Fargo, and we will be moving from Duluth to the Fargo/Moorhead area in late April.  When the job offer first came about, I was totally shut down to any consideration.  After all, Chris and I had visions of raising our family somewhere completely different, and that singleness of goal has been with us our entire marriage.  I was even reluctant to PRAY about the possibility, because that would give God a foot-in-the-door to make it happen.  Thankfully, several of my friends offered to help me in this area, praying with me, encouraging me, even giving me prophetic words of community and peace that they feel is waiting for me in Fargo.  I have received many soft assurances from God, and do believe that this is the best decision we could make for our family at this time.

And, though I'm not in the"YAY!  I'm so excited!" stage of this change, I can see how God has been piecing this move together supernaturally.  Perhaps the timing of our pregnancy wasn't right in light of this move.  And perhaps all of our home repairs saved us thousands in the long-run as we prepare to sell our house.  And maybe, MAYBE, God has this next phase of our lives under control too...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you guys and miss you terribly! I'll pray for comfort and encouragement!

-Dan P

Carrie Malone said...

Hey there Jamie! I am so sorry to hear about what a difficult tough months it has been for you guys! I did not know you had a miscarriage, my heart breaks with and for you and Chris! I will be praying for a healing heart and openness for the new places God is taking you and your family~ Big hugs and sending you my love Jamie!
Love, Carrie

Unknown said...

Hi Sweet friend: I see the tears in your writing and I feel the sensitivity of your heart amidst all the challenges and changes that are taking place. You are loved and at these times, it is so hard to trust completely--somehow we want to help God out when we know that His plan is the Best and though we cannot see the finished work, we walk into the unknown with confidence that HE IS IN CONTROL!! Love you and are praying for you,
Joy Baer

Emma said...

We do all have tough stuff to deal with. I've had two miscarriages - both very different experiences. So I can only express my condolences, and pray that the Lord will know what you need.
The bills that come are no happy reminder that's for sure.
I also pray that you will find those wonderful people in the Fargo area that will be your support, and become your friends.

Good luck, and God Bless

jodi said...

We are weak when He is strong.

Jenny said...

Jamie, I'm so sorry about the hardships you've had to endure the last few months. But if there's one thing I know about you, it's that your faith is strong. The Lord sees your needs and will take care of you. I pray that you will find your faith stronger and that there is love, joy and peace through it all.

Valerie said...

Storms on all fronts. The miscarriage is especially painful for you both, I'm sure. Praying for peace midst the storms. Thankfully, God is giving you perspective and reassurance. I'll ask Mark if he's always had a yearning to see Fargo! Love ya.

Kami said...

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you guys! We love you!

Jamie Stavenger said...

Thanks, everyone for your words of support- we are SO blessed with an amazing community of friends and family, far and near, old and new.

And Valerie....tell Mark he can definitely leave his hiking boots at home for that trip. :)

Becky said...

I've gone through the miscarriage thing twice one of which was the single hardest time in my life. It's still hard but God brings peace.

Deborah. said...

You are such an encouragement to me. I will be praying for this next stage in your life, as God shows you all that He has for you guys.

Joy said...

So sorry about the miscarriage. That has to have made all the other things that much more difficult. Praying for you.

Donna said...

I have felt the truth of this quote from C.S. Lewis:

"When I lay [my] questions before God I get no answer. But a rather special sort of No answer. It is not the locked door. It is more like a silent, certainly not uncompassionate, gaze. As though He shook His head not in refusal but in waiving the question. Like, 'Peace, child' you don't understand.'"

No, we don't understand, but someday we will (1 Cor. 13:12), and it will all make perfect sense. Love you!

Amelia said...

Jamie, SO sorry to hear about the miscarriage; I can't even imagine how difficult that must be on the both of you. :'( My heart goes out to you, and my prayers are with you.

bobby said...

Jamie, so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. Had no idea.

Check out Psalm 143. Kicked me in the gut yesterday.

Praying for you guys!