Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Parenting for Dummies.

I've had things fairly under control until now. I could sit relatively comfortably as she slowly moved from stage to stage. Now, all of a sudden, I feel like she is moving more rapidly than ever, and I'm running to keep up with HER. I find myself asking questions more often of myself:

Am I feeding her the right amount of formula daily?
Is she getting enough sleep?
Should I be introducing her to more solid foods?
Should I be trying to discourage her newfound "squawking"?
Am I spending enough time on the floor with her?
Should I be trying to help her crawl?

Arghhghhh! This is the first job I've had that doesn't have a job description- it all seems to be trial and error. Thank goodness for the internet that gives me some idea of what milestones should be approaching!

When I was a teacher, I placed a lot of importance on the first weeks of school. Establishing routines, correcting behaviors, setting the dynamic of the classroom all set me up for an enjoyable and rewarding school year. My approach to parenting is the same- I just don't want to miss an opportunity, and look back later thinking "I shoulda done that differently". However, I'm starting to think that's inevitable- at least on this first time around. ;)

3 comments:

Marcia said...

I just want you to know that I think you are definitely doing it right! You give her love and time . . . two of the most important things to do "right" in raising children. She is happy and healthy and has a wonderful mommy and daddy! Keep it up!

Donna said...

I agree with Marcia, you and Chris both have nurturing and sensible parenting instincts that are getting Kendall off to the best possible start! She is a blessed little girl.

Jenny said...

Yeah, it's inevitable. We call our first son, Joshua, our guinea pig child because we had no idea what we were doing. But it all comes down to love and nurture (as previously stated!) and I know Kendall gets tons of both. (And btw, I still freak out about everything with my 4th kid because they are all different!)