Thursday, September 23, 2010

DC Wrap-Up

I was admittedly a little apprehensive about our trip to DC. Chris had a work conference, so Kendall and I would be hotel-ridden for the majority of the trip. Turns out that was NOT the case, and even if it were, I wouldn't have minded it. We had a sa-WEET hotel room (literally- at the Embassy Suites) in which Kendall could have her own room to sleep, thus eliminating my need to kick Chris repeatedly during the night for snoring. In addition, the seminars Chris attended ended up consuming only his mornings leaving all afternoon to sight-see.

We both mentioned that this was our favorite vacation to date, though we could have done without the excruciating heat and hysterical airplane meltdown by Miss K (she officially lost her "Best Baby Traveler" title on both to and from flights).

Here's a little looksie at our week!

On our first night, we had dinner with Chris' friend Kayla and her boyfriend, Alan. We went to Gordon Biersch- yum- just a short walk from our hotel.

We passed Ford's Theater on the way back to the hotel.

While Chris was in meetings, Kendall and I met my childhood friend, Emily, for a little Starbucks treat! She works just a few blocks from our hotel.

Our downtime was enjoyable, too...we camped out on our fluffy beds and watched some TV!

The NEWSEUM came highly recommended to us (thanks, Angela!) and was our favorite stop of the trip! Kendall was devouring all the information...literally.

Chris and I both tried our hand at reporting the news. I think I missed my calling :)

Also on display was the antenna from World Trade Tower 1, along with a variety of front page headlines from Sept 12th.

On Wednesday, my SoCal friends Eric and Ashley came from Baltimore to spend the day with us! We had a great time sightseeing with them and their two cutie-pies, Audrey and Elliot.

(With the Lapointes at the Washington Monument- note the two sleeping babies stowed away.)

Kendall promptly went to sleep before we hit all the big stops, thwarting all of our plans for family photos. Ohhhh wellll.

The totally-straight dads and their babies.

During Chris' Thursday morning classes, Kendall and I ventured to Georgetown for some girl time- shopping, Starbucks and cupcakes :) Our first stop was the acclaimed Georgetown Cupcake, of "DC Cupcakes" on TLC.

We took home the following yumminess: Chocolate Ganache, Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl, Caramel Apple, and Pumpkin Spice. I KNOW, right!?!

On our final day, we visited Arlington National Cemetery, which was lovely despite the strenuous hilly stroller-pushing and ridiculous heat. We arrived at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier just in time for the changing of the guard ceremony, and Kendall kept silent- just as instructed :)


While there, we stopped to pay respects to family friend, Sam Huff, who died several years ago in Iraq. It was a sobering moment, and our hearts still ache for her family.

As the youngest female soldier to be buried at Arlington, her bio and uniform are on display in the "Women in Military Service Memorial".

We arrived at the reflecting pool just as the sun was setting, which made for the most amazing pictures.

Kendall at the World War II Memorial.

3 comments:

Angela said...

LOVE the pics!! I'm so glad you had as good of a time as we did. I only wish we'd had some overlap!

I completely identify with the baby meltdown on the plane. While Catherine has been a mostly wonderful traveler, there are a few flights that I would like to block from my memory.

Donna said...

Good job on the recap - glad you had such an enjoyable vacation!

Laura Gipson said...

This brings back fond memories of our DC adventures way back in 2002! I'm so sorry I didn't get to see you this time around. It made me smile to see my sis with your Kendall, though. :)