Friday, July 30, 2010

Baby You Can Fly My Plane


I'm breaking a sweat just thinking about it. A three hour car ride tomorrow, then 6 hours on airplanes with my baby...alone. I shouldn't be worried- she's always been a champ on our cross-country flights- but she's changed SO much in the last month. Since gaining mobility (and, therefore, a heightened degree of independence), Kendall is very aware of everything around her. It doesn't bode well to be stuck in one seat with a squirmy baby. Please, Lord, sit me next to an understanding mother this time, instead of the old curmudgeon I usually get.

I'm sure the anticipation is the worst. And, it's all SO worth it. Saturday night I'll be in Northern California, ready to celebrate two family birthdays: my favorite mom and my favorite brother. For Derek's birthday this year, we've planned a Memorial BBQ in his honor, with proceeds benefiting the Children's Tumor Foundation. It's the next significant event in our year of "firsts," and again, the anticipation of days like this is almost always worse than the day itself. We're all looking forward to a little social distraction, but more than that, celebrating Derek with all his friends.

If you would like more information on this event, please e-mail me at jamiebella1@aol.com. If you are unable to attend, but would like to make a donation in Derek's name, visit ctf.org

3 comments:

rosemary said...

Hi Jamie,
Please let those of us who enjoy your blog know where to send contributions. Have a wonderful trip and visit with your family out here in CA!

Jamie Stavenger said...

Sure, Rosemary. I added a link on my post- thanks for asking!

Roxeanne said...

I am having the same anticipation. We leave Sunday morning (at 6am yikes!) for Orlando with an independent and talkative toddler. He has his own seat, but last time he was not a fan of sitting in said seat. When he's loud I remember some wise advise from a stranger in the Vancouver airport: "you always hear your child the loudest." It also can be said that your child annoys you the most. It's totally true. Usually when G is making me crazy no one else is even looking in our direction.