Friday, February 02, 2007

It's Called Punctuation. USE IT!


I used to read this book to my second grade students. It's called "Punctuation Takes A Vacation." Cute book. What would happen if punctuation didn't exist? Reading would be pretty stressful! THIS is what I was teaching second graders. SECOND GRADERS. For some people, this information seems to get lost somewhere in between childhood and adulthood, which is particularly distressing to me. I thought punctuation was a non-negotiable concept in writing, but some people view it more as an option: case in point, most e-mails I receive from Jr. High students and, now, the collegiate community.

Since this blog is read by literally millions of people worldwide, can I take a moment to advocate the use of proper punctuation? Perhaps this can be my lasting contribution to society (even though writing will eventually be a relic itself). PEOPLE OF THE WORLD, your teachers have been trained to instill knowledge in you for good reason. Included in your education was a subject we call Language Arts, which gives you all the tools you need to become a successful communicator as an adult. You may not remember, but you DID LEARN how to use funny little shapes called periods, commas, and exclaimation points. This was not busywork, but the acquisition of an important life skill.

When you fail to use this writing etiquette, you are not presenting yourself in the best possible way. Certainly, in business and academic situations, it can put you at a severe disadvantage. In contrast, using proper punctuation contributes to your appearing intelligent...even if you're not.

I beg and I plead. Honor your teachers. Use the punctuation keys. And while you're at it, "u" is actually spelled y-o-u.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Great post. Is this a pet peeve of yours? I'm sure many could benefit from going back and reading the essentials. Seeing things the way you have, I've begun to wonder if this basic skill is still taught in today's classrooms.

Steph said...

Nicely said, Jamie!

Now, what would I need to do to be able to borrow this book of yours? I'm thinking I may just leave it under Stephen's pillow, as if it just appeared from nowhere.

Kevin said...

hmm so thats why my blog hasn't gone worldwide yet!!!

bobby said...

Could you also teach people the difference between there, their, and they're while you're at it? Thanks.